NO low pass filter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone had any luck removing ALL of the audible digital noise
on a PCM2702/2902 chip without using a low pass passive or active filter?

Just with good construction technique and filtering? (Impossible?)

Mine is very low level....but it's there.

Just wondering (for my own education)...if it's possible to live without it and whether the noise can, in fact, be made inaudible.

Like I say, the noise level I hear on my board is quite low and I probably will use the filter.

Just learning.

I don't have that much experience with digital audio.

It may be impossible? to remove it all?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jmar said:
Has anyone had any luck removing ALL of the audible digital noise
on a PCM2702/2902 chip without using a low pass passive or active filter?

Just with good construction technique and filtering? (Impossible?)

Mine is very low level....but it's there.

This noise is part of the signal and results from the DA conversion itself. Therefor, no amount of shielding or sophisticated construction will decrease it.

Depending on the sample frequency, the noise may actually reside above the audio frequency and as such is not audible directly. But it may upset the amplifier it feeds and/or cause intermodulation and/or slew rate limiting: the amp will now get hi freq, hi speed signal components it was not designed for. Some will be relatively unaffected, some will audibly degrade. It really depends on your particular situation.
Using at least some form of filtering will protect you to some extend.

Jan Didden

Ok...thanks Jan.

I thought it had been more noise coming from the USB connection.

I know when you disconnect the USB cable, it turns the chip off?
(SSPND?)

Maybe I'll toggle the SSPND pin with the USB cable disconnected and listen.

If it's all just the DAC....it's pretty low and I have to turn the amp up to it's maximum to hear it....you can hear a high frequency "switching squeal."

Hey, it's alot better than tape hiss and I'm old enough to compare the two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.