ultranalog sacd enhancer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2006, 12:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ultranalog sacd enhancer

Hi

I have searched for a shematics for building a simple and better analog output stage to my Sony DVD player(without sacd) .I'm not able to design my own.
There is one interesting output stage made with transistors at http://ultranalog.com/cdenhancer/sacdenhancer

I have few questions.

1.Does this work with AK4385 dac,it doesn't have DSD (1bit).As AK4383 in that SACD player has?

2.DAC1 and DAC2 in the shematic,what are they( L and R ?)There is R+,R-,L+,L- in the dac output?

3.There is only one output.Is it necessary to make two of these circuits,one for each channel,or one with two emitter followers?

4.Should I just forget it and copy the original output stage of my DVD player to a protoboard with good quality components and op amp like opa2132pa?

These are the questions for now .

Old 18th January 2006, 07:32 AM   #2
DolbyR is offline DolbyR  Finland
diyAudio Member

I can't really answer the first three questions but i guess the nr 4 would be the easiest and with the best possible components you can find/want to spend.
The 2134 should be high quality enough but you can also consider a better opamp.
I would recommend soldering a socket to the board to enable you the easy opamp swapping in future. i wont be that much bigger effort anyway.
Old 18th January 2006, 08:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ultranalog sacd enhancer

Quote:
Originally posted by pikkujöpö
Hi

I have searched for a shematics for building a simple and better analog output stage to my Sony DVD player(without sacd) .I'm not able to design my own.
There is one interesting output stage made with transistors at http://ultranalog.com/cdenhancer/sacdenhancer

I have few questions.

1.Does this work with AK4385 dac,it doesn't have DSD (1bit).As AK4383 in that SACD player has?
Unless you are a bat or a dog, it doesn't matter at this point as the signal has been converted to analogue.

Quote:

2.DAC1 and DAC2 in the shematic,what are they( L and R ?)There is R+,R-,L+,L- in the dac output?
DAC1 is R+ or AOUTR+ and DAC2 is R- or AOUTR-.

Quote:

3.There is only one output.Is it necessary to make two of these circuits,one for each channel,or one with two emitter followers?
One circuit for each channel.

Quote:

4.Should I just forget it and copy the original output stage of my DVD player to a protoboard with good quality components and op amp like opa2132pa?
Try both starting with the sacdenhancer.

Quote:

These are the questions for now .

Old 18th January 2006, 07:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Big thanks for your answers

I think now I'm confident enough to try the output stage with the transistors.

Just one more question : There is a 5K potentiometer for distortion cancellation,I have no distortion analyzer anyway.Is the pot needed in this case? Any recomendations for resistor?

The soldering socket for op amps sounds like a good idea to use in the future.I have some listening experience with opa2132pa and i like their sound.There has been some recomendations for biasing it to class A with two resistors,maybe I will try it later.

Hide this!Advertise here!