Marantz CD-46 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This my first post here.
I have been reading within the forum about modifying cd players and decided to give it a go with my Marantz CD-46.
First the cd player was dying on me not wanting to read cd's anymore skipping etc. So I started googling around and found this article CD-46 repair but replacement pickup was quite expensive so I kept googling.... and TAARAAANN! bingo! some guy was talking about regulating the laser's intensity by turning a pot that is usually locate dnear the laser lens. And so I did and it worked! Unfortunatelly I no longer have the link to that page but you can google it.
So now I have a working CD-46 with it's case still open.... So why not throw a decent IEC mains conector to use with my brand new Merlino mains cable and while I am at it replace those ugly steel rca jacks in the back with some gold ones.
So, there you go the first step has been taken. Now I found a really nice guy in a forum that passed me the CD-46 schematics (thanx Monsan S. :) ) so I got those and since I am a real beginner in electronics I don't know where to start off...
I would need your help in locating/replacing op-amps, and maybe adjusting some analog stage (tubed) found in this forum on other threads in order to put it inside the cd-46.
To be honest I would like to change the cd players box, since it is really flimsy thin tin like, with no weight whatsoever.
How about Power supply? Is replacing the transformer and a couple of caps enough?
Thank you all for your feedback

gorfeas said:
This my first post here.
I have been reading within the forum about modifying cd players and decided to give it a go with my Marantz CD-46.
First the cd player was dying on me not wanting to read cd's anymore skipping etc. So I started googling around and found this article CD-46 repair but replacement pickup was quite expensive so I kept googling.... and TAARAAANN! bingo! some guy was talking about regulating the laser's intensity by turning a pot that is usually locate dnear the laser lens. And so I did and it worked! Unfortunatelly I no longer have the link to that page but you can google it.
So now I have a working CD-46 with it's case still open.... So why not throw a decent IEC mains conector to use with my brand new Merlino mains cable and while I am at it replace those ugly steel rca jacks in the back with some gold ones.
So, there you go the first step has been taken. Now I found a really nice guy in a forum that passed me the CD-46 schematics (thanx Monsan S. :) ) so I got those and since I am a real beginner in electronics I don't know where to start off...
I would need your help in locating/replacing op-amps, and maybe adjusting some analog stage (tubed) found in this forum on other threads in order to put it inside the cd-46.
To be honest I would like to change the cd players box, since it is really flimsy thin tin like, with no weight whatsoever.
How about Power supply? Is replacing the transformer and a couple of caps enough?
Thank you all for your feedback

Hola Gorfeas,

Congratulations on reparing the CD46. To make sure that the laser is not giving too much power, you can check the level of RF signal. If you have scheamtics / manual, there will be instructions.

I cannot resist in advising to upgrade the clock.

hasta luego

Re: Re: Marantz CD-46 mods

Guido, Gorfeas

I've owned a CD46. It's not worth tweaking, it uses one of those highly integrated SAA7xxx digital processors. It's controlled via a serial MCU interface by writing to internal registers as opposed to the more basic SAA's which are controlled by strap inputs. And if I'm not mistaking... it does a 0.5 dB downscaling which can't be disabled by any means. It's optimistic to imagine that the SAA does some fancy 64 bit floating point processing to the signal :) So, better go for the older models which use the simpler digital filters - i.e. bybass-able.
Ah, it just occured to me that Guido should know this better :D

Regards,
Mr. Push Pull

From what I have seen on diyparadise.com the CD-46 looks exactly the same as the Philips CD720 I'm looking into right now. Except the Philips has a double-sided PCB.

But what confuses me is that on diyparadise it says it doesn't do oversampling. Is there any source to "believe" that?

btw it's a SAA7345GP

Nevertheless I would be very interested in a copy of the service manual :)

Regards,
samoth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.