shematics of ROTEL RCD-990

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Paul,

I dont know much about this player. Is it same topology as rcd-991 with dual pcm 63 and diff output? The 991 player is a bit odd, as on paper it seems exceptional, but owners on forums I have read merely describe it as a capable player and not overly musical. I find this strange as it uses blackgates and wima mkp ex factory, and of course the ever famous pcm63. Any one got any comments about these two players as i was considering maybe buying one?

Rotel cdp

Hi Luke,
you can try asking other listmates. There are some that have a rotel rcd991 and have already done some modification.
Concerning the 990, it was rotel's best cdp ever made. They tried to make a hi-end player at a resonable cost using the best components available. You can check Rotel's manual page and you will find on interesting description on the build quality of the cdp.

I've found schematics for the analogue section of this cdp, and looks some upgrades are nedded specially changing the 2xne5534 and 4x ne5532 with better sounding opa627.
It will probably get an improvement changing the clock, but I'm waiting to receive the player to understand better how it was designed and the components, since I've found only rcd991 modification's and don't have the complete schematics of the 990.

The 990 has the philips cdm9-pro mec and is very difficult to find since it was practically on the market for 4 months before it was sold out and replaced by the cheaper 991.

Hope this can help
Paul:)

thanks Paul,

I have seen a thread with someone modding the 991, but I saw no new clock and replacing many blackgate capacitors. I thought the gains would have been minimal if any. It seems this player is factory tweaked and no fun:(
Is the 990 similar then to 991?

regards Arthur

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.