Marantz CD-38

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Since my Philips DVD player which was serving as CD player for the last years is dead... Now I am back to my dear old friend Marantz CD-38.

I have to admit that the performance is not that brilliant, as I am in progress of upgrading my amp, I am in need of a decent CD player as well. Therefore I would like to upgrade my Cd-38.

I read that there is a AH! Tjoeb'99 design which basically re-invents the Cd-38, while keeping the CD drive and replacing the DAC and the analuge parts. Unfortinately they do not offer any upgrade kits.

I would like to do it the same way:

Keep only the CD drive/micro and upgrade the DAC, analog parts and the power supply.

Does anyone have similar experience w.r.t. power supply and DAC upgrade ?

Are there any DAC KITs available ?

Meanwhile I am searching for the I2S lines inside the CD player,
does anyone have the service manual ? Or give me a hint which lines they are.

Thanks!

I have seen Doede's DAC (www.dddac.de) and it seems very reasonable design, and he offers PCBs as well.

So I might go for it for my DAC upgrade.

DDAC uses 12v power supply, since I have read in the forums that, the power supply has a very important role inside the DAC designs, I would like to have a high quality power supply.

Can anyone suggest a good power supply KIT ?
May be Doede has a suggestion which power supply to use, I couldn't find (YET) on his web site.

Thanks.
Tim

Joined 2003
Paid Member
dddac power supply

Thereason you have not found a power supply on my website is that I use, with good results so far lead batteries. The ones the yuse in Alarm systems etc, maintenance free types...

This solution is cheaper and as good or better then regulated low noise power supplies....

any way, I tried from some dddac-builder once a power supply with a good transformer, schotkey diodes, large BG capacitors and a MOSFET sourcefollower. This was a very good solution and sounded very very good. at least as good as a battery. May be on small details a bit better :) But realize, this is not a cheap solution ......

May be I should build one, listen and publish as example....

regards
doede

Hi Doede,

Thanks a lot for your reply! :)
Yes I have realized that you have used batteries, and I am sure that they produce very good results indeed.

However my intention is to "upgrade" the existing CD player, but not to build a stand alone DAC.
If I can get a power supply within a reasonable budget, then fine.. if not then worst case I will use the internal power supply that is already built in my CD player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.