Dlink wireless media players

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some questions about two Dlink wireless media palyers:
1) The Dlink DSM-320RD has a "Windows Connect Now" port. What is "Windows Connect Now" and how can I use that port? It looks like an USB port: can I connect it to an external USB DAC?
2) Can I connect the USB port on the front panel of the DSM-520 to a USB DAC (instead of using SP/DIF) ?

Best regards.

Paul

From the DLink web page:

Setting up the DSM-320RD is simple, and with support for Windows® Connect Now, configuring the wireless settings is easier than ever before! Simply run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard from Windows XP Service Pack 2 and transfer the wireless settings to the DSM-320RD using a USB flash drive.

One therefore assumes that the USB port is for the credentials transfer via USB flash memory drive.

It is unlikely that the USB port is configured to provide anything but flash memory access. Adding a USB sound driver may require significant additional software. Probably. That said - if you look inside an Apple Airport Express they use a PCM2705 - so that system does talk USB sound, but they don't provide support on the USB port for anything except printers. I have a sneaking suspicion that their 2705 is tweaked, and has a different ID to the standard one. Thus the system will ignore any ordinary USB sound device that is plugged in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.