High resolution (sa)cd output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking;
Does anyone have any experience in modding a sacd-player so that it would have a high res. digital output.
I know Oehlrich has done a terrific job on a pioneer 575a but it only does 88.2khz. I would like a 176.4khz output.

So I have the follwoing suggestion;
Take a sony xe-670 which has dsd1702 dac. Now take a pcm4204 (or maybe sm5819) and convert dsd to pcm and then to aes/spdif.
The dsd1702 and pcm 4204 are both from TI's Burr Brown so maybe they have the same dsd input-format?
Anyone any experience with this? Anyone interested in doing so?
Maybe someone (in the Netherlands) would like to help or try with me?

I have read the pcm's PDF again and I now know this
DSD input is 64fS (64x44.1=2,8224Mhz which is the SACD freq. This is also the DSD freq that the dsd1702 accepts, must be correct :rolleyes: ) This is called dualrate. And according to page 16 of the pdf; the dual rate mode is utilized for sampling frequencies higher than 54kHz and up to 108kHz. So max will be 88,2kHz stereo:(
Conclusion; it is better to use oehlrich's pioneer-output:) :angel:

fascinating chip, that NPC. i wonder how the decimation filters sound. i suppose if you had the know-how you could feed it your own coefficients.

if i were able to build my dream all-digital stereo system, i would use that chip so i could perform DSP on DSD. :) i guess you will never see a commercial product with high-res PCM out on SACD tho, due to copyright restrictions. i hate sony. :sigh:

aaronboumans said:
That I allready found, was fairly simple
no, just so I can process the dsd signal in pcm-dsp's. I need a very good source for my 3-way Aleph/ScanspeakRevelator system.
DVD-A is no option because of lack of software, sacd I have plenty!

As I suggested before, give the Kaga peoplle a call, they may be willing to sell to you and not insist on large minimum order.

Hello!

I know about a modified DV-668 with the PCB from dvdupgrades.ch.
Ordering procedure was horrible, but the board arrived within a few days. Installation was simple with the right equipment (smd workplace with microscope). Digital audio performance for DVD-Audio is slightly worse than a modded DV-575 (!), due to the lack of a measurment SACD there were no measurments for converted DSD.

The kit is in my eyes too expensive for its performance, I'd rather get a DV-575 or equivalent and mod this one if you can do without 176.4k.

Holger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.