Signal boosting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if this is the right spot, but...

I've got a Panasonic XR55 reciever and a Carver PM900 pro audio amp for my sub. The problem is, is that the XR55 doesn't give out a hot enough signal to properly drive the PM900. It doesn't get as loud as I really think it should. My 180WRMS 8" computer sub should't be able to keep up with an efficient 12" sub (IDMAX) getting 900WRMS

Would this do the trick?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=320-204

how would I go about setting all the levels once I connected something like that?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi spots25,
Would this do the trick?
No.

1. mic level is way too low for the rcvr output. (module overloads)
2. probably will not have a high enough level.
3. 741 op amp. (noisy, slew rate okay for sub)

The Carver will destroy your sub if you ever get it to deliver it's full rated power to your sub. The Carver does require a solid AC connection. Your other devices will not be happy about this. Trust me. The Carver is a great amplifier for this use, your single AC circuit is not up to the task if it's a regular house circuit.

The efficiencies of the two speakers will have much to say about the sound pressure level. Your ears are not sensitive enough to hear a large difference. It's not a linear relationship (power vs SPL). To hear 2X the volume, you need around 10X the acoustic energy. That's a cruel fact of life.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.