Squeezebox 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got myself one for festivus. What a great device!

I spent about a week ripping 500+ CDs to a 250GB HDD in my computer which runs the slimserver software.

It is really weird having so many discs available from the remote control. When you select a song to play and hit the play button it starts instantly.

I am using my self-built 30W per channel LM3886 amp and Quad ESL-63 speakers. I don't claim to have golden ears, but it sounds as good to me as my Teac VRDS-20 CD player. I have taken my CD player and Mc Intosh tuner out of the system (I live in a rural area and only listen to NPR on the tuner- I can now do that via internet feeds through the SB3).

The only problem with the SB3 is the complexity of set-up. You need to be able to work through wireless computer networking issues (if you get the wireless model), CD ripping, FLAC compression and tagging, and library structure. You need to be a bit of a computer geek, or you need to know one who can/will set it all up for you.

The SB3 did not work with my SMC router so I had to get a new one. There is a wiki page at the slimdevices web site that lists known good and bad routers, so if you're looking at the SB3, check out the wiki ahead of time!

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.