Pre-DAC switching capability?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

Long time since I've posted, but after such a great experience with the t-amp, the DIY upgrade bug has bitten again!

I've decided to buy the Monica 2 DAC from DIY Paradise to mate to my Arcam 7SE. From listening to my fathers Derek Shek NOS Dac v2, I can tell that it's going to be a good upgrade, and hopefully should be even better than the NOS Dac from what I read.

As I listen to a combination of mp3s and CDs, I would like to use this DAC with both computer and CD sources. As the computer is an optical SPDIF output, I'll be using a converter:http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tp-08200.htm . Are there any known problems with this converter? Will it mess with the sound much?

Rather than continually change sources, I was wondering if there was any such thing as a Co-axial switch, or if there are simple schematics so that I could build one myself (easier the better!). Ideally I'd like to have the switch in the box with the DAC.

So - is this a crazy idea or might it work?

Cheers
Mark

P.S - I hear that the Monica 2 lowers the CDP output level a bit - will this be an issue with the t-amp, as it isnt exactly the loudest amp in the world!

Commited said:
No one?

Can I just usea simple switch?

You can use a simple switch, see the Pass D1 schematic on the Pass Labs site, or for something a little more complicated, below is the input selection circuitry of the Stax Talent dac.

Attachments

• switch.gif
    switch.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 390
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.