Pre-DAC switching capability? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2006, 11:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Commited
Default Pre-DAC switching capability?

Hey,

Long time since I've posted, but after such a great experience with the t-amp, the DIY upgrade bug has bitten again!

I've decided to buy the Monica 2 DAC from DIY Paradise to mate to my Arcam 7SE. From listening to my fathers Derek Shek NOS Dac v2, I can tell that it's going to be a good upgrade, and hopefully should be even better than the NOS Dac from what I read.

As I listen to a combination of mp3s and CDs, I would like to use this DAC with both computer and CD sources. As the computer is an optical SPDIF output, I'll be using a converter:http://www.audioshowcase.com/specs/10tp-08200.htm . Are there any known problems with this converter? Will it mess with the sound much?

Rather than continually change sources, I was wondering if there was any such thing as a Co-axial switch, or if there are simple schematics so that I could build one myself (easier the better!). Ideally I'd like to have the switch in the box with the DAC.

So - is this a crazy idea or might it work?

Cheers
Mark

P.S - I hear that the Monica 2 lowers the CDP output level a bit - will this be an issue with the t-amp, as it isnt exactly the loudest amp in the world!
Old 3rd January 2006, 06:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry, the link posted is wrong: http://www.audioshowcase.com/popupspecs/10tr-08300.htm

Any ideas anyone?
Old 8th January 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No one?

Can I just usea simple switch?
Old 8th January 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Commited
No one?

Can I just usea simple switch?
You can use a simple switch, see the Pass D1 schematic on the Pass Labs site, or for something a little more complicated, below is the input selection circuitry of the Stax Talent dac.
Attached Images
File Type: gif switch.gif (26.2 KB, 256 views)
Old 9th January 2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I bought that very same optical>coax dongle in Maplin for 15 quid Go there and get it!

It seems to work fine with my PD NOS Dac, haven't tested quality back to back but nothing stood out as being wrong.
Old 9th January 2006, 05:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks magsy! I'll be ordering it from ebay for about 15 incl Delivery (Irelands maplins sucks).

Hide this!Advertise here!