Newbie AES snake cable questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im gonna try to wire up a multichannel AES snake to connect my Tascam DM24 digital mixer to my new Dynaudio Air20 digital monitors (5 satellites and the Air Base2 sub), thus requiring 3 XLR male ends (plugged into the master speaker) to correspond correctly to particular pins on the male D25 connector plugged into the mixer. I have attached a jpg of the AES pinout that Tascam uses in the mixer card in question.

I have some newbie questions that may seem silly, so bear with me.

The tascam pinout diagram shows 3 pins associated with each input; G, C, and H.
What do the letters stand for? (ground, cold, hot?)

The Belden multichannel AES cable I am going to use has 3 strands in each casing; black, red, and bare.
What color should be soldered to which pin on the d25 connector? (bare to G, Im sure)
What color should be soldered to which pin of the XLR connectors on the other end?
If I reverse the red and black wires on the XLR connector, will the "left" and "right" be reversed as well, or does digital not work that way?

Is 1 mm lead-free rosin-core solder appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• tascampinout.jpg
    tascampinout.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 173
Good evening,
You are correct,
G=Ground
H=Hot
C=Cold

On the belden cable,
Bare=Ground
Red=Hot
Black=Cold

On the XLR,
Pin 1=Ground
Pin 2=Hot
Pin 3=Cold

The type of AES you are using is balanced, just as if you were sending balaced audio down the cable. If you reverse pin 2 and 3 your signal will be out of phase. You don't want it to be out of phase. Btw, you are using 110 ohm cable right?

imix500 said:
The type of AES you are using is balanced, just as if you were sending balaced audio down the cable. If you reverse pin 2 and 3 your signal will be out of phase. You don't want it to be out of phase. Btw, you are using 110 ohm cable right?

AES is biphase encoded; will work fine if pins 2 and 3 are reversed.

Jocko Homo said:
No, the phase will not be reversed. Only after the SPDIF RX chip can you reverse phase.

BTW.......sorry you are stuck using an AES cable. Lots of reflections on all of them. XLRs make lousy RF connectors, evern if their characteristic impedance is 110 ohms.

Jocko.

I was waiting for you to show up in this thread :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.