cambridge isodac s700 mods/upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all
ive just managed to get hold of a s700 isodac, as from what ive read in this forum and else where it has the potential to be something quite formidable even by todays standards.
ive read afew posts here asking about mods etc but i have avery limited knowledge of electronics so was wondering if anyone could give me some tips,starting points to get the max out of this dac without hopefully losing me completely!
one of the main things needed i guess is a schematic for this dac,does anyone have one or where i might be able to get one!
im hoping to partner this up with a pionner stable platter cd player at some point,if so,does anyone know if its posible/how to make a clock snyc output to hook up to the item on the isodac? hoping to mod the pioneer so its just a transport and modify to that purpose!
any help with the above i would be very grateful!
all the best
smithie

Hello Smithie and all,

I've just aquired a S700 ISOMAGIC myself albeit without a PSU or those funny rubber feet - but then it only cost a tenner! I've run it on a very basic +15/-15 supply and it works perfectly so I too would love to obtain more info on the best mods for it.

I've picked up a few hints reading through various posts but not enough to really get stuck into some serious modding. Can anyone supply information e.g. schematics, PSU design etc?

Thanks in anticipation, Gray.

hi gray
you jammy bugger....ill give you £20 for it!
ive done nothing to mine as im not that gemmmed up regarding electronics but im trying to learn!
the power surply seems to be the best starting point,like you,ive read the various posts but im still clueless!
think a main issue is going to be the room avaliable inside the dac for modding the power surplies let alone the other bits!
a schematic would be a great help(more help for my mate then me as he understands them}
all the best
smithie

Ha Ha,

I don't know - my first post and I'm already getting called names ;).

Yeah it was a bit jammy I suppose. I saw it in a local secondhand shop about six months ago and didn't know anything about it but then recently got back into hi fi so decided to look it up on the net. Was quite surprised at the glowing praise it got on this forum so set off to buy it. He wanted £15 for it but when he couldn't find the PSU I offered him £10. I don't think he had a clue what it was.

I'm using it on the end of my PC at the moment until I've built a decent PSU for it then it will replace my Rotel RCD965BX for DAC duties. I'm also going to fit a decent sound card to my PC and use the optical option to connect to the Isomagic. It sounds great even with a very very basic power supply so can't wait to mod it.

I agree a schematic would be a good start with perhaps a nice PSU design from that genius John Westlake!

Regards,

Gray.

hi gray
if you find another going cheap then let me know,after another to mod really as i stated im not to hot on the modding front so nervous about destroying the one ive got as i really love the sound it makes,it might not have the best this,the deepest that, but i find the whole very musical and unforced which to my ears means more!
i know johns busy,moving, products etc but maybe,just maybe he might give us afew little in depth ideas,tips....please!
all the best
smithie

Here is a few links I had hanging around in my favorites, i think they mostly have something to do with the s700 dac.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1975&highlight=

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24419&highlight=

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2086&highlight=

Hope they are some help.

just to rub it in a bit more, i bought my s700 for £30 though without squishy ball feet and a PSU. Not as good as a tenner but still cheap.:D

I have yet to connect up my unit to a power supply so i have never actually used the dam thing.
GrayZee, how exactley did u connect the unit up to your makeshift supply?

Kram.
:)

Thanks for the links guys. Unfortunately my lack of knowledge of digital electronics means most of it is above my head:bigeyes:

I'd really just like to design a good PSU and maybe change an op amp or two.

Don't worry ash I'm sure it's quite legit - I hope! I was lucky as it was a Saturday assistant who sold it to me and I think he didn't want to admit he didn't know what it was. He read the words on the front then anounced proudly it was a 'Digital to Audio Converter!' and they go for 15 quid. Bless Him! I wonder what it would go for on ebay?

Kram, I'm embarrased to admit I am using two 12v transformers from a garden light set with a couple of bridge rectifiers and caps from old PC PSU's! I have some better parts on order from Farnell's as it seems almost cruel to run it on this setup. The DC output from the transformers is around +17/-17 volts so is connected directly through an 8pin Din and is used to power both digital and audio.

The wires should be connected as follows:

Audio Supply:
Yellow & Black +15v
Red & Green -15v
Orange & Blue 0v

Digital Supply:
Brown +15v
Grey 0v

Good Luck,

Gray.

Thanks GrayZee that should come in useful.

As for power supplies an easy option would be to order some P05 PCBs from rod elliot http://sound.westhost.com/ I have used one in the past and its good and easy to use.

there are other power supplies around as well that are more complicated and maybe a bit better. one that i seem to remember is something along the lines of Jung or something Walt Jung super reg. i think thas close to its name.

anyway something to think about.

Kram

Comprising a stylish slim-line isolation platform and exemplary Digital to Analogue converter the S700 is a great upgrade for CD Players or one of the best partners on the market for any quality Compact Disc Transport. The product's famous SAA7350 (DAC7) DAC chip and PMD100 HDCD digital filter are implemented in a no-compromise design featuring no less than 15 separate regulated power rails and both optical and coaxial connections. Its precision glass fibre circuit board is then internally floated on extruded silicon polymer mounts to further ensure the sound is full and effortless.
Cambrigde Audio's ISOMAGIC design also reduces the workload of your CD Transport/Player's error correction circuits by dramatically minimising external vibrations. Combining different polymers and vibration-dampening materials at key areas to effectively isolate from a multitude of vibration frequencies. The custom-manufactured and highly researched "Puds" sit underneath the rigid sheet steel base plate not only as purposeful feet, but also as yet another point of isolation.

Frequency Response 4Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.5 dB
Harmonic distortion (total): Typically < 0.0025% @ 1kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio: Better than 110dB
Dynamic Range: Better than 100dB
Channel Separation: Better than 95dB
Audio output: 1.7V rms (HDCD mode: 3.4V)
Digital out (optical): S/PDIF Toslink standard
Digital out (BNC: ) S/PDIF 75ohms

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...nd.com/Cambridge.htm&btnG=Google+Search&meta= (on Google cache )

Yes I'd seen the P05 PCB's and was planning to build something similar. Problem is I want to have separate supplies for each channel and one for the digital stuff. Could work out expensive and complicated with individual transformers so I've ordered a fairly hefty +15/-15 tranny and will use separate bridge rectifiers, regulators and caps etc.

I was hoping someone had built one before or maybe John Westlake had given some clues as to the best PSU circuit in one of his posts but no luck finding any info so far.

To be honest it sounds superb already - easily matching my Rotel player. It's a bit noisy when run from my PC but I'm using it's onboard co-ax SPDIF output and it's perfect when using the Rotel's co-ax output. I'm hoping to fit either a USB to Toslink adapter or a new sound card with optical out soon so that should cure the problem.

I wonder how hard it would be to track down some of those 'puds'? They look like squash balls cut in half - now there's an idea!

Does anyone have a preference over the co-ax or optical inputs? I've never used a DAC with optical so I'm curious if it 'sounds' any different.

Gray.

JohnW, the DACs designer always recommends optical connections because it electrically isolates the dac from noisy components like PCs.

Yep, separate power supplies are usually best, I have 2 P05 boards that I am planning on using.

When i bought the DAC from Richer Sounds at an open box sale the staff there recomended that I just go out and buy some squash balls to substitute as feet.

Mark.

hi grayzee
those puds are not cut in half squash balls,but complete round type balls,there very flexible which they have to be overwise the whole thing will roll around i guess!
i havent used mine instead im using some polyama pods or what ever there called which are alot more steady and going by reviews proberly do a better job....but that could be debatable!
your approach on seperate power surplies sounds good,not to sure about using torridal transformers,while very cool to look at i did read afew pieces somewhere that there design wasnt good to use on a digital circuit....but there always used because thats what the punter expects when he buys a product these days!
thats only what ive read,im sure someone will shed some more light on that...its something to do with picking up noise...i think!
havent even had a peep inside mine yet...but i think im going to have to soon after all these posts
smithie:smash:

Hi Smithie,

Yeah you're right about those 'puds' being round. I had only glanced at a picture of an Isomagic before and assumed they were half spheres - looking closer now I can see they're not. Still think they look wierd though:bigeyes: . Ultimately I'd like to house the DAC and PSU in the one box if I can find someone who makes nicely finished aluminium cases.

I was undecided about how to power the digital side of things so I may add a standard transformer and keep the digital stuff completely separate just to be on the safe side. I'm going to end up spending ten times what I paid for it soon on just the PSU - didn't realise tweaking was so expensive:bawling:.

You must open yours up - it's a work of art inside. All those lovely regulated supplies on such a small PCB, not to mention all those Oscons.

Gray.

Kram said:
JohnW, the DACs designer always recommends optical connections because it electrically isolates the dac from noisy components like PCs.

Not to speak for John, but that's not what I remember him saying. I think it was more qualified than that. IIRC he was talking specifically about linking a DiscMagic and IsoMagic, where the clock signal is separated from the data signal. I've rarely heard anyone state categorically that optical connection is better. I prefer coax both when I'm using the DiscMagic/IsoMagic and also when running the IsoMagic with my Pioneer 588 universal player (which I'm doing right now while my transport is in for repair). Anyway, optical vs coax is an easy test for anyone to do.

You really should consider getting a DiscMagic or better yet John's new T1. (Or maybe a DIY clock circuit?). The IsoMagic only becomes special with the clock-link in place.

I believe the puds should be available from Cambridge Audio. They were marketing a CD isolation system that consisted of a passive platform looking very much like the IsoMagic, with puds. I don't think tennis balls would be equivalent. If I didn't have the puds I'd try sorbothane. I use sorbothane between the DiscMagic and IsoMagic and I find it a useful improvement.

I'm going to end up spending ten times what I paid for it soon on just the PSU - didn't realise tweaking was so expensive.....

haha aint that the truth.....still its fun and you can do it bit by bit and convince yourself that you havent spent that much!
might have a peep inside tonight..family allowing!

audiobomber is right in stating that john recomends tosh connection for clock lock and data transfer for isolation...was going to make a transport and build a clock lock to give it ago,but johns got me buzzing over his new gear so going to save for that when its due!
i think it still sounds special without clock lock,knowing theres more is even more exciting...best £50 iveever spent!
all the best
smithie:bigeyes:

hi grayzee
you mention that your need a bigger box to put the iso dac in and power surplys,if you want a cheap option + afew transformers,electronic bits and bobs thrown in then why not buy a old dac magic,pretty solid case,fair amount of room and as mentioned 3transformers,connectors and electric gubins....i got one for £15 off ebay...a maplins case of any worthwise size dont come that cheap!
just a thought
all the best
smithie:att'n:

Hi Smithie,

Brilliant idea! I had been watching out on ebay for a Dacmagic before getting the Isomagic although can't say I saw any that cheap:( .

I'm watching a few DAC's on ebay now so fingers crossed. Did you get round to opening your Isomagic up yet? It's quite surprising how small the PCB is given the size of the case!

I'm wondering now if its's feasible to clock lock with some sort of external USB interface from my PC. The DAC will eventually be connected to a Media Centre PC with all my albums stored in a lossless format. Maybe some of the more electronically adept listers could tell me if it's possible? Coming from a computer user point of view I can't understand why an optical link would sound any different from a co-ax one - isn't a bit still a bit however it gets there?

Does anyone have a link to info on JohnW's new equipment? Sounds very interesting.

Sorry, full of questions but still a bit of a newbie:xeye:

Gray.

hi grayzee
heres the link for info on johns up and coming products...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70456

think ive done that link thing right....if not look for thread in digital called john westlakes products,thread was started by me.

regarding optical verse coax.....dont go there...in theroy your right regarding they should be the same,but most think coax is best for what ever reason,but as stated by someone elst just try the two and see which works best for you!
ebay is a funny place sometimes things go for peanuts,then the following week everyone is going crazy over the same thing....if dacmagics are going for silly money then just look for something that isnt...you only want the box,so could be anything i guess!
regarding computer questions...your on your own there..im lucky to do just simple chores with mine....to play with the internals is taboo for me....but someone here should be able to help on that!
and no still havent had a peep inside yet...but i will...enter drum roll!
all the best
smithie:)

hi guys
had anyone had a problem with the clock lock light staying on,my isodac has just started that little trick,it doesnt matter what postion the switch is in,plus im not using any connection to it.
had a peak inside but cant see anything amiss...any ideas.
heres another weird thing that im clueless about...
i recorded a compilation cd ,all the songs are hdcd encoded...played it 3-4 times no problem,played it today and about 5-6 of the songs failed to light the hdcd indicator,tried it various times and all the times its the same songs.
if i use a brought cd that has hdcd encoding there are no problems what so ever so cant be a fault with the dac...any ideas!
smithie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.