cambridge isodac s700 mods/upgrades - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2005, 10:58 PM   #1
smithie is offline smithie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default cambridge isodac s700 mods/upgrades

hi all
ive just managed to get hold of a s700 isodac, as from what ive read in this forum and else where it has the potential to be something quite formidable even by todays standards.
ive read afew posts here asking about mods etc but i have avery limited knowledge of electronics so was wondering if anyone could give me some tips,starting points to get the max out of this dac without hopefully losing me completely!
one of the main things needed i guess is a schematic for this dac,does anyone have one or where i might be able to get one!
im hoping to partner this up with a pionner stable platter cd player at some point,if so,does anyone know if its posible/how to make a clock snyc output to hook up to the item on the isodac? hoping to mod the pioneer so its just a transport and modify to that purpose!
any help with the above i would be very grateful!
all the best
smithie
Old 15th January 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
GrayZee is offline GrayZee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello Smithie and all,

I've just aquired a S700 ISOMAGIC myself albeit without a PSU or those funny rubber feet - but then it only cost a tenner! I've run it on a very basic +15/-15 supply and it works perfectly so I too would love to obtain more info on the best mods for it.

I've picked up a few hints reading through various posts but not enough to really get stuck into some serious modding. Can anyone supply information e.g. schematics, PSU design etc?

Thanks in anticipation, Gray.
Old 16th January 2006, 08:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi gray
you jammy bugger....ill give you 20 for it!
ive done nothing to mine as im not that gemmmed up regarding electronics but im trying to learn!
the power surply seems to be the best starting point,like you,ive read the various posts but im still clueless!
think a main issue is going to be the room avaliable inside the dac for modding the power surplies let alone the other bits!
a schematic would be a great help(more help for my mate then me as he understands them}
all the best
smithie
Old 16th January 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ha Ha,

I don't know - my first post and I'm already getting called names .

Yeah it was a bit jammy I suppose. I saw it in a local secondhand shop about six months ago and didn't know anything about it but then recently got back into hi fi so decided to look it up on the net. Was quite surprised at the glowing praise it got on this forum so set off to buy it. He wanted 15 for it but when he couldn't find the PSU I offered him 10. I don't think he had a clue what it was.

I'm using it on the end of my PC at the moment until I've built a decent PSU for it then it will replace my Rotel RCD965BX for DAC duties. I'm also going to fit a decent sound card to my PC and use the optical option to connect to the Isomagic. It sounds great even with a very very basic power supply so can't wait to mod it.

I agree a schematic would be a good start with perhaps a nice PSU design from that genius John Westlake!

Regards,

Gray.
Old 16th January 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

hi gray
if you find another going cheap then let me know,after another to mod really as i stated im not to hot on the modding front so nervous about destroying the one ive got as i really love the sound it makes,it might not have the best this,the deepest that, but i find the whole very musical and unforced which to my ears means more!
i know johns busy,moving, products etc but maybe,just maybe he might give us afew little in depth ideas,tips....please!
all the best
smithie
Old 16th January 2006, 12:19 PM   #6
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
He wanted 15 for it but when he couldn't find the PSU I offered him 10. I don't think he had a clue what it was.
Selling goods he knew nothing about.....hmm

see:-

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...012#post367012

I could never get an Isomagic on ebay (very competitive auctions).

Cheers,

Ash.
Old 16th January 2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here is a few links I had hanging around in my favorites, i think they mostly have something to do with the s700 dac.

Best way to route patch wire (for clock signals)?

philips cd753 and cambridge audio isomagic dac s700

Whic DAC chip to use with a PMD100 filter??

Hope they are some help.

just to rub it in a bit more, i bought my s700 for 30 though without squishy ball feet and a PSU. Not as good as a tenner but still cheap.

I have yet to connect up my unit to a power supply so i have never actually used the dam thing.
GrayZee, how exactley did u connect the unit up to your makeshift supply?

Kram.
Old 16th January 2006, 04:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the links guys. Unfortunately my lack of knowledge of digital electronics means most of it is above my head

I'd really just like to design a good PSU and maybe change an op amp or two.

Don't worry ash I'm sure it's quite legit - I hope! I was lucky as it was a Saturday assistant who sold it to me and I think he didn't want to admit he didn't know what it was. He read the words on the front then anounced proudly it was a 'Digital to Audio Converter!' and they go for 15 quid. Bless Him! I wonder what it would go for on ebay?

Kram, I'm embarrased to admit I am using two 12v transformers from a garden light set with a couple of bridge rectifiers and caps from old PC PSU's! I have some better parts on order from Farnell's as it seems almost cruel to run it on this setup. The DC output from the transformers is around +17/-17 volts so is connected directly through an 8pin Din and is used to power both digital and audio.

The wires should be connected as follows:

Audio Supply:
Yellow & Black +15v
Red & Green -15v
Orange & Blue 0v

Digital Supply:
Brown +15v
Grey 0v

Good Luck,

Gray.
Old 16th January 2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Kram is offline Kram  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks GrayZee that should come in useful.

As for power supplies an easy option would be to order some P05 PCBs from rod elliot http://sound.westhost.com/ I have used one in the past and its good and easy to use.

there are other power supplies around as well that are more complicated and maybe a bit better. one that i seem to remember is something along the lines of Jung or something Walt Jung super reg. i think thas close to its name.

anyway something to think about.

Kram
Old 16th January 2006, 06:34 PM   #10
ash_dac is offline ash_dac  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Comprising a stylish slim-line isolation platform and exemplary Digital to Analogue converter the S700 is a great upgrade for CD Players or one of the best partners on the market for any quality Compact Disc Transport. The product's famous SAA7350 (DAC7) DAC chip and PMD100 HDCD digital filter are implemented in a no-compromise design featuring no less than 15 separate regulated power rails and both optical and coaxial connections. Its precision glass fibre circuit board is then internally floated on extruded silicon polymer mounts to further ensure the sound is full and effortless.
Cambrigde Audio's ISOMAGIC design also reduces the workload of your CD Transport/Player's error correction circuits by dramatically minimising external vibrations. Combining different polymers and vibration-dampening materials at key areas to effectively isolate from a multitude of vibration frequencies. The custom-manufactured and highly researched "Puds" sit underneath the rigid sheet steel base plate not only as purposeful feet, but also as yet another point of isolation.

Frequency Response 4Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.5 dB
Harmonic distortion (total): Typically < 0.0025% @ 1kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio: Better than 110dB
Dynamic Range: Better than 100dB
Channel Separation: Better than 95dB
Audio output: 1.7V rms (HDCD mode: 3.4V)
Digital out (optical): S/PDIF Toslink standard
Digital out (BNC: ) S/PDIF 75ohms
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta= (on Google cache )

Hide this!Advertise here!