CD Walkman line out/earphone out?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Hope you can all help. I am planning to buy a Sony SD Walkman. However I found out that the model I want D-NF421 does not have a line out jack. It only has the earphone jack. The salesperson at Sony told me that they are the samething basically. So hooking up the earphone out to a pair of speakers would be just fine according to the salesperson. Is this true?

I am planning to play cd's with very faint sounds recorded in the background and I need to connect speakers so that a group of people can hear them as well, it's complcated to explain the details so I'll leave it at that.

Will I encounter sound quality problems connecting the speakers to the earphone out? Pls help if you know abt this. Thank you.

Nizar001 said:
Hi everyone,

Hope you can all help. I am planning to buy a Sony SD Walkman. However I found out that the model I want D-NF421 does not have a line out jack. It only has the earphone jack. The salesperson at Sony told me that they are the samething basically. So hooking up the earphone out to a pair of speakers would be just fine according to the salesperson. Is this true?

I am planning to play cd's with very faint sounds recorded in the background and I need to connect speakers so that a group of people can hear them as well, it's complcated to explain the details so I'll leave it at that.

Will I encounter sound quality problems connecting the speakers to the earphone out? Pls help if you know abt this. Thank you.

Nope, no problems there....I often have my mobile fixed up to my amp it sounds bloody good to say it's a MP3 player (earphone out). Like the man says it's exactly the same just a bit quiet...exactly what your after!!

Thanks Lostcause for your reply. I have gotten a lot of thumbs up regarding the use of the headphone jack as a substitute for the line out frm Sony.

I also read a lot of other forums on this topic, however a lot of them have had negative experiences using the hdphone jack. They complain that the sound quality is poor etc and that line outs are the much better option.

There's talk that when an ipod's hdphone jack is used with the amp it sounds really horrid. I have listed below direct links to forum topics that tell of some users experience in dealing with this.

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54626

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?p=31837

What am I to do...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.