Question on transformer coupling S-PDIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have shown that small differences of input rho can be heard on systems as bad as Shahinian speakers with Bedini electronics.

My vote is for a poor coax interface.

Steve.......I know an analog switch acts like a resistor. But you are missing the point of the design I am suggesting. All the input matching is on the input side. It does not matter what is on the output side.

Don't make me do a drawing of it, because I am too damn lazy.

Jocko

Toslink optical recievers have horrible pulse width distortion, the actual error is very dependent on signal level. This distortion causes the receiver PLL to jitter badly, so different optical cables will have very audible effects.

As an aside a great way of doing S-PDIF would be to use cat-5 cable with dc coupled differential output driving a differential receiver. This would have a response down to dc avoiding the dc wander pulse width distortion problems of a transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.