Denon DCD-1520 mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2005, 06:35 AM   #1
johngo is offline johngo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DCD-1520 mods

I just picked up a used DCD-1520 and would like to do some mods to it.
I opened it and found numerous op amps???I see NE5532 and NE5534's...Would I have to replace all of these??I know the 5534
is a single channel op amp and the 5532 a dual but can I get improvements without spending tons of money???Help!
Old 20th December 2005, 08:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DCD-1520

Anyone out there???????????
Old 20th December 2005, 09:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Denon DCD-1520

Quote:
Originally posted by johngo
Anyone out there???????????

Hi\

OPA134 resp OPA2134 are decent alternatives at very acceptable prives.You may want to upgrade the output coupling cap(s) and get rid of the muting transistors.

Clock is also a good target to upgrade as wel as power supply diodes, I very much like Scottky Barier types.

best
Old 20th December 2005, 10:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DCD-1520 Mods

Thanks very much!I checked the prices of the Op amps..all very reasonable...What brand of Caps do you suggest??
Old 21st December 2005, 06:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Denon DCD-1520 Mods

Quote:
Originally posted by johngo
Thanks very much!I checked the prices of the Op amps..all very reasonable...What brand of Caps do you suggest??

Hi,

For output I very much like the Audio Note copper folis, but these are bulky, and more expensive than all opamps together. But they are good !

Alternatives are polypropylene like Wima MKP10 - much cheaper.

Power supply: Panasonic FC types

Clocks: suit yourself. Many are discussed on this forum. As I am one of the manufacturers, I won't push you in certain directions.

best
Old 21st December 2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I have also a vintage DCD-1520 and my best advice is to let the CDP rest in pease. My is 17 years old with bad laser.
Old 21st December 2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Cobra2 is online now Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default Laser

The Denon use a KSS 151A (Sony) laser, hard to find & expensive.
(I have a ok, used laser-unit lying around...)

Arne K
Old 14th August 2010, 12:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry to dredge up an ancient thread, but I will be getting one of these decks very shortly and I'm wondering if anyone actually did any upgrades after this thread ran and if so how they worked out? Any good sources for a spare laser (I'd like to put one aside if I can).
Old 14th August 2010, 01:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I upgraded the heck out of a number of DCD1520's over the past few years. They can be made to sound quite lovely, but seem limited by the PCM64 dac chips. Could never get the kind of spaciousness and clarity that I get with players using PCM58/63/1702/etc.
Best source for replacement lasers is to buy older DCD1500II machines, which usually go pretty cheap. Anyone with new-in-box 151's is going to want three arms & two legs for them. But, in my experience, KSS151's have only about a 5% chance of failure, so I wouldn't sweat it much.
Old 14th August 2010, 02:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
I upgraded the heck out of a number of DCD1520's over the past few years. They can be made to sound quite lovely, but seem limited by the PCM64 dac chips. Could never get the kind of spaciousness and clarity that I get with players using PCM58/63/1702/etc.
Best source for replacement lasers is to buy older DCD1500II machines, which usually go pretty cheap. Anyone with new-in-box 151's is going to want three arms & two legs for them. But, in my experience, KSS151's have only about a 5% chance of failure, so I wouldn't sweat it much.
Very good! I have a soft spot for those older up-market CDPs. They may not do quite the job the newer models can, but the build quality is a pleasure and I like having the controls on the face instead of just on the remote.

So, which mods did you find most worthwhile? I have a Sony 608ESD of the same general period (more equivalent to the DCD-1500ii I think?) and ditching all of the clip connectors and hard wiring the boards together made a significant improvement along with some improved diodes in the power supply. What sort of thing would be good for the DCD-1520? I've seen reference to swapping out opamps and such, but I don't recall much for details about the results.

Hide this!Advertise here!