Blackgate n series coupling direction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I like them, and from what I hear a lot of people like them too, but mostly in SS applications. Because of slightly warm signature, BG N might work different in tube circuits.

I tried Hovlands, Wondercaps, Musicaps, Jensens (copper foil), MIT RTX (with silver bypases), Siemens MKV, Russian paper in oil, but in my DAC, I preferred BG N 4.7/50 for coupling.

The only cap that I chosen over BG N there, was teflon V-Cap.

Peter Daniel said:
Yes, I like them, and from what I hear a lot of people like them too, but mostly in SS applications. Because of slightly warm signature, BG N might work different in tube circuits.

I tried Hovlands, Wondercaps, Musicaps, Jensens (copper foil), MIT RTX (with silver bypases), Siemens MKV, Russian paper in oil, but in my DAC, I preferred BG N 4.7/50 for coupling.

The only cap that I chosen over BG N there, was teflon V-Cap.

Peter,

I like the BG N series too, haven't tried the V-cap yet, very
expensive.

Sorry for a slight thread diversion but have you heard anything
WRT supply of these BG caps?

Cheers,

Terry

As far as I'm informed. Japan is not manufacturing them any longer. Major dealers still stock BGs, but I think they underestimated the current demand. Soon, some values will not be available any longer.

V-cap is expensive, but I managed to get away with 0.1uF value (my preamp has 100k input impedance). It is the most neutral cap I've heard so far, and the bass has very good definition as well. Considering what some people spend on interconnects (or power cords) I believe it's still a good value (in terms of what you get back in sound quality).

Another aspect is the voicing of the circuit. I've chosen all the parts in a DAC having always BGs in coupling, that's why they sound good in there.

When I switched to V-Caps, I didn't really like Rikens any longer in I/V stage (sound was sort of unfocused) and I switched to Caddocks TF020 (which previously, with BGNs, I didn't like either; they sounded bright and agressive).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, it always surprises me what people will pay for interconnects as compared to coupling caps..

My power amplifier and pre-amplifier have all V-Caps (I reviewed samples for PFO last year) and I will say they are about the best sounding/most transparent capacitor I have encountered so far.

I have done the progression over the years from CDE WMF, Wima, Rel RTX, Rel TFT cap, jensen copper foil paper in oil to V-cap.

I do use BG when its unavoidable, but I have made a point of avoiding electrolytics both in power supplies and in the audio path - exception filament supplies. Hopefully this means when I am an old codger I won't have to deal with expired EL caps too frequently.. LOL

BG do take some time to break in, so I would reserve judgement until you have some hours on them..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.