The third try, or Revenge of the PCM1704 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2002, 02:22 PM   #31
diyAudio Retiree

Default have turned you into an abusive *****

Ah nothing like reasoned discourse from my esteemed college...... Yes you can an I2S interface with three cable interfaces and the resultant termation nd RFI issues. Or like I said..... you can do one well done SPDIF interface and have the flexibility of using different DACs and or transports interchangably as many developers, DIYers, and just about every one else in the industry does. There is also the potential to use readily available pulse transformers and analog diffential interfaces for reduction of RFI and common mode noise on the interface. Also advantages in decoupling noise from the transport from getting into the analog circuits through the DAC dgital inputs.

I guess it is easier to rant with hysterics about the SPDIF interface than to go do the work of improving it. My experience and that of a many well reguarded DAC designers is that this interface has plenty of potential and is not ready to be thrown out yet. The Audio Alchemy and Muse digital interfaces seem to have dissappeared. The I2S cable that I built for the AA stuff worked best in very short lengths(15") due to the lack of proper termination by the way.

http://www.diyvideo.com/forums/showt...0854#post90854

Fred

P.S. It is nice to know that the forum has such hands off moderators so I can be called an "abusive *****" for discussing technical issues that I have three years of professional experience in. Makes me really want to be a contributer here.

Post edited(word has been censored), as result of offender's(not user Fred Dieckmann) usage of it with malicious intent has been censored. Your complaint has been heard, and action has been taken as result. Please refer to SinBin for result. -CHRIS8
Old 4th December 2002, 05:21 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: have turned you into an abusive prick

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann

P.S. It is nice to know that the forum has such hands off moderators so I can be called an "abusive prick" for discussing technical issues that I have three years of professional experience in. Makes me really want to be a contributer here.
In all that fascinating technical discussion, I didn't even noticed that. I thought your threshold for abuse was set up higher. In the light of recent events and the fact that moderators are under the fire, I will not even think about proposing anything like sin bin sentence.

jwb, you used unnaceptable language and offended a respected member of this forum. I think that apology is in order. BTW, do you still consider me to be harmless?
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 4th December 2002, 05:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Unfortunately my post came a minute too late, jwb got sinbinned.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 4th December 2002, 09:20 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default I2S

I have found that I2S needs to be as tweaky as possible to get the best results. Most I2S cables and connectors suck. If you can, hardwire the cables at both ends and if you must buffer, try it at one end only. Of course, the wire and dialectric used will make a big difference. At one point I was using an Audio Magic I2S cable that was connected between a modified AA jitter/bit expander and a custom DAC. I had already hardwired the cable to the DAC pins but the other end was using the usual mini-din plug into the AA piece. Then I made my own I2S cable using 6 nines copper wire in air and thin teflon and hardwired it at both ends. Way, way better sound. So, there is no free lunch. Everything has to be done to the max to get the best sound.

Ric Schultz

Hide this!Advertise here!