DIY Surround Processor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2005, 03:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Surround Processor

Does anyone here have any suggestions on where to start, other than Google ;-), to look for information about DIY surround. I've been on the lookout for a good surround processor, but you can't get anything for less than $2000 unless you get a full receiver. I want to avoid the receiver because I have no need for the crappy power supply, amps and pre-amp that goes along with them. Basically, I want to take a surround processor board and add my own pre-amp stage (at the DAC) and power supply to it. I thought about going all out and getting an Analog Devices Dev Kit with a SHARC Melody processor to do the whole thing myself, but the licensing requirements required for DTS, Dolby, etc. make that route very unattractive (development time aside).

As an extension of this, I wanted to use my PC as the DVD transport, feed the digital signal into a processor (whether a surround decoder or just a DAC depending upon the implementation) and from there into a good pre-amp stage.

Any hints?
Old 14th December 2005, 06:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bump.

Seriously? Nobody has anything? I can't be the first person to have thought about trying this.
Old 14th December 2005, 06:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

If you'd searched, you'd know this has been discussed many times before.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 14th December 2005, 09:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
If you'd searched, you'd know this has been discussed many times before.

I did search. Hence the post. If you would like to suggest some particular keywords to use, please do so.
Old 15th December 2005, 06:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Dolby Digital ?
Old 16th December 2005, 05:52 PM   #6
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A second hand dolby & dts receiver with dig out and 5.1 channel analog out is easier and cheaper imo.

Hide this!Advertise here!