DIY Surround Processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone here have any suggestions on where to start, other than Google ;-), to look for information about DIY surround. I've been on the lookout for a good surround processor, but you can't get anything for less than $2000 unless you get a full receiver. I want to avoid the receiver because I have no need for the crappy power supply, amps and pre-amp that goes along with them. Basically, I want to take a surround processor board and add my own pre-amp stage (at the DAC) and power supply to it. I thought about going all out and getting an Analog Devices Dev Kit with a SHARC Melody processor to do the whole thing myself, but the licensing requirements required for DTS, Dolby, etc. make that route very unattractive (development time aside).

As an extension of this, I wanted to use my PC as the DVD transport, feed the digital signal into a processor (whether a surround decoder or just a DAC depending upon the implementation) and from there into a good pre-amp stage.

Any hints?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.