clock upgrade for cd/dvd players - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2001, 03:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shallenn
i came across this tweek for cd/dvd player. can someone check it out or tell me anything about the pros and cons to going further with this possable upgrade? thanks, shallenn check it out------------------------------------------------------ http://www.audiocom-uk.com/superclock.shtml
Old 5th September 2001, 04:07 AM   #2
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

These clock upgrades are quite popular, and there is definitely some merit to reducing the jitter produced by the ****-poor clocks typically found in consumer gear. However, I would never spend an absurd 175 pounds on one!

As a DIYer, I would at least attempt something on my own. There is an excellent book on crystal oscillators (though you may experience the same difficulty locating it as i have): Crystal Oscillator Circuits by Robert J. Matthys, ISBN 0471874019.

Since finding this book, I've been toying with the Meacham bridge circuit, which appears to be the best of the lot. Perhaps some more modern circuits would outperform it, I don't know. Anyhow, I've only managed a few initial prototypes, and havn't yet been able to measure the jitter...

Anyone know how to measure jitter without expensive equipment???

Anyway, if you don't want to try building your own oscillator from scratch, you can buy a canned oscillator. Valpey-Fischer supplies very low jitter clocks. Add a good power regulator and a decent buffer chip, and bingo! ...you've got yourself a module just as good as this expensive kit.
Old 5th September 2001, 04:10 AM   #3
hifiZen is offline hifiZen  Canada
diyAudio Member

oh yeah, of course you void your warranty if you go ahead and install one of these, and you'll also need to know where to tap the power for your clock, and where to remove the stock crystal and insert yours. Finally, you'll also want to verify that you're supplying the correct logic levels to the chip... these days, a lot of consumer equipment is using 3.3V ICs.
Old 5th September 2001, 02:55 PM   #4
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Clock upgrades

I've no experience of clock upgrades to a DVD player, but did fit one into a Marantz CD63 KI Sig and it was a truly huge massive improvement.

Another colleague fitted one to an old Meridian CDP and the results were just as good.

Jitter is one of the most fundamental issues to tackle in digital audio, it doesn't just decrease resolution, but generates non-musical spurious signals that are particularly horrid to the ear (i.e. they have no correlation to the audio signal).

Some manufacturers have stated that jitter of just 1-2 psec is audible.

I used a clock from Danish company LCAudio, which is considerably cheaper than the Audiocom or Trichord products, whilst offering almost identical performance.

There is a new version out called LClock XO2 (I used the LClock XO in the Marantz) that is a little more expensive but it's worth every single penny in my book.

A colleague is about to try one of these in an entry-level Naim CDP, the results will be interesting!

Andy.
Old 5th September 2001, 02:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Postscript

LCAudio can be found at: -

http://www.lcaudio.com
Old 6th September 2001, 12:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to shallenn
Default clock upgrade for cd/dvd players

thanks for the info guys ill check into it more. i didnt know if an upgrade would give results that would be obvious. im always looking for a way to improve on what i got!!shallenn
Old 6th September 2001, 11:23 AM   #7
weeghel is offline weeghel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to weeghel
Default other diy-clock

http://ariel.club.tip.nl/

Please check out this page, andlook for the cd player upgrade. Contact Guido Tent to ask for prices on the pcb boards he has just developed for this XO-Clock
Old 6th September 2001, 06:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Well done weeghel

Looks cheap - which makes it have an immediate appeal to me

Andy.
Old 7th September 2001, 11:50 AM   #9
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

47E ?? what the hell is that???....shouldnt it be 47R as in 47 ohms? (check the diy clock schematic)

/micke
Old 9th September 2001, 02:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

TO hifi ZEN

whare to buy the book you say??
I live in R.O.C,so it hard to find it
and can you add PLL and reclock into the DAC?
I want to try it
thanks

[Edited by cinglong on 09-09-2001 at 09:05 AM]

Hide this!Advertise here!