$175 LiTe DAC-Ah NON-O/S anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So ok the importer to the US is http://www.pothaudio.com/
and they say

This is a non-oversampling digital to analog converter with many performance oriented features such as- paralleled DAC chips for better linearity and current drive, multiple regulated supplies, gold plated RCA jacks, a very high quality overspecified power supply, and top notch output buffers from Burr Brown.

8 paralleled chips
High quality components
3 regulated, isolated power supplies
Coax (RCA) and Toslink inputs

I'm very impressed...........

Cost me £70 total inc shipping.

Out the box its as good as the NOS....different sounding [flavour]

With a few simple mods

opamp swap to opa604 [all I had]
decoupling cap changed to stacked wima1 uf total value of 5uf
rewired with silver in ptfe on the output
sil bridges replaced with descrete schottky's
47k res in output up grade to dale vishay

You would be hard pushed to realise it was thee same unit.....

natural neutral presentation, good bass[ not just one note!]
sweet treble good imagining.. very good value !

I'd say you'd need to spend plus £800 for a better unit.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
zanash said:
I'm very impressed...........

Or built a dddac version right away ... :D

No kidding, I am absolutely in agreement, that when you get rid of the cheap opamps and other stuff around it, you are back to a very basic design with receiver and TDA1543 in parallel and that will sound very good. And the price is definitively ok. What is, imho, still lacking, is the reclocking..... that does a lot as well...

And in the meantime we found out, more chips in parallel sound better. You might want to try several of those boards or just add extra TDA1543 chips around it....

I am wondering when they will come with a 12 chip version. With the 8 chip they were pretty fast ;)

have fun with the TDA1543....

doede

There's something essentially stupid about that post......

If you have An AN 1.2 why would you audition a dac AH ?

or if you have a dac -AH why would you pitch it against a dac that is ten times the price[ depending on the level of component choice].

What are you going to find out ?

1 the AH is no match for the 1.2

2 the 1.2 is so far ahead of the AH that your going to be constantly disappointed in your purchase.

If you want to make a valid comparison do it with a dac of equal price like I did ......

The DAC - AH will be an excellent upgrade for a basic transport

zanash said:
There's something essentially stupid about that post......

If you have An AN 1.2 why would you audition a dac AH ?

or if you have a dac -AH why would you pitch it against a dac that is ten times the price[ depending on the level of component choice].

Mr. Zanash,
Perhaps if you read my post more carefully you wouldn't have to ask so many silly questions.

The comparison was between the Lite DAC-AH ($175) and the ART DI/O ($149). The AN 1.2 was mentioned only in passing. Besides, if the DAC-AH is as good as you say:

then a comparison between the DAC-AH and the AN 1.2 is appropriate because the AN costs much less than £800.

You did not just mention it in passing.......reread your own post.

As stated it is a stupid comparison to make ...IMO, That means in my opinion....I am allowed an opinion ? We don't all have to accept you blinker view...do we ?

Answer me this

If money was no object would you buy a lite dac AH or an AN 1.2 ?

correct you would buy the AN 1.2 everytime......bar none

Therefore to compare one with the other is completely fateous

The price of the AN 1.2 is well known ........would you show me where I can buy a new top spec. one for less than £800......

Nobody in there right mind would by a lower spec unit, when they can have the best ?

can we move on........

I am not able to tell you the optimal value as I had a friend to do the adjustments in his lab. He noticed that there were noticeable amount of distortion based on factory default settings.

In addition,he found out that the TDA1543 chips suffers from temperature drift i.e. the Lite DAC will sound different at different temperatures. A simple solution is to add heatsinks to the 8 pieces of dacs

zanash said:
If money was no object would you buy a lite dac AH or an AN 1.2 ?

If money was no object, I wouldn't buy either of them.

zanash said:
The price of the AN 1.2 is well known ........would you show me where I can buy a new top spec. one for less than £800......

I bought the AN 1.2, new, from Audio Note, a few years ago. It was fully assembled, with tantalum resistors, and cost less than US$1000. As far as I know, AN doesn't produce the 1.2 any more but the 1.1 is still available, as a kit, for $795. It would cost $200 to have it assembled. The only differences between the 1.1 and 1.2 are the face plate and the power supply.

problems DAC-AH and PC

I’m looking for a DAC between my PC and my Notebook and my Analog Hifi-System. My PC resp. Notebook has an SPDIF-Output. Is the Lite DAC-AH a practicable solution? I read, that „the DAC-AH does not recognize PCM or LCPM 2 channel material from DVD Audio” (http://www.pacificvalve.us/LTDACAHM). Is it possible, to transfer the audio-material from a DVD across the DAC?

Another question: what means „AH”.

best regards

Lite DAC-Ah

I see that a lot of people remove the opamps from there DAC-Ah in favour of capacitors, or passive output. I therefore deduce that the opamps are degrading the sound, my question: what if you were to replace the opamps with descrete devices such as the Burson Audio Opamps?
http://www.bursonaudio.com/burson_hdam_module.htm

Just wondering if anyone has tried this, or if you think it's worth a try?

:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.