Simple decoupling circuit for DACs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(cross-posted form Power Supply Design, because nobody goes there)

Hi guys,

I'm planning an ultra-portable stereo designed to hook up to a laptop. The plan is to have the DAC (I'm using diyparadise's Monica 2) and a custom class-D amp run off the same 12V switching power supply that the laptop is using, while the laptop runs in power-saving mode operated by a remote.

The general circuit tests out, and everything can run without hitting current output limits on the SMPS. However the problem is that there is inavoidably a lot of noise in the PS, whether it's from the class-D or the laptop or the PSU itself. Is there a simple LC-decoupling/bypassing circuit that I can use to decouple the entire noise-sensitive DAC without lowering the supply voltage? What would be suitable values?

Thanks in advance

Have you made some measurements about the noise on the output of the class D amp or the DAC? Is the noise present at the DACs output first or on the class D amp? Did you use a star topology for grounding?

Although a SMPS creates (much) more noise than a standard linear regulator noise problems are most often grounding problems as the PSRR of the chips is high enough to supress power supply related noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.