Vrds10 - Jumping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2005, 12:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vrds10 - Jumping

My Teac VRDS10 has started to suffer from intermittant random jumping whilst playing. It does this on virtually every CD and sometimes jumps through a whole album in a couple of minutes. Has anyone else suffered from this and can anyone offer any help?
Thanks
Old 1st January 2006, 09:03 PM   #2
marconi is offline marconi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Several TEAC VRDS transports suffer from a broken stable platter, the disc that is put on top of the CD. If it is a black one, then probably there are very fine cracks, hardly visible, in the center just around the metal shaft. Under various temperature conditions and also randomly, skipping occurs because of this.
The disc will have to be replaced by a Teac service center.

The green stable platters appear to be much more reliable and do rarely have to be replaced.

Other possibilities are everything from weakened laser-units via weak spindle motors up to defective servo-chips and bad power supplies. But check the disc first, that's 90% of the times the culprit.
Old 1st January 2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default Cracks...?

-you must be joking!
Platter is made of a (aluminium)alloy, and would only crack with help of a hammer.

A worn or dirty laser, or just out of adjustment will make the player skip. Also check & clean the laser-slide & "wheel".

Arne K
Old 1st January 2006, 09:41 PM   #4
marconi is offline marconi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Don't know about the VRDS10, but a whole lot of TEACs use PLASTIC platters. And the black ones DO fail. All of them.
Old 1st January 2006, 11:38 PM   #5
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default Platter

CD-mechanism on VRDS-10 is similar to VRDS-25, wich is similar to Wadia 270 & 861... ( CMK-3x)

Arne K
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Vrds10 - Jumping

Quote:
Originally posted by ANDYLASER
My Teac VRDS10 has started to suffer from intermittant random jumping whilst playing. It does this on virtually every CD and sometimes jumps through a whole album in a couple of minutes. Has anyone else suffered from this and can anyone offer any help?
Thanks
My VRDS-20 started doing that for a while, then the drawer stopped opening and closing so I couldn't play anything at all.

I fixed it very easily. There are just two small belts in the player- one that opens and closes the drawer, and the other that drives the lift that presses the disc against the platter. If the lift belt slips, it won't press the disc against the platter hard enough and the result will be skipping.

I replaced the belts and the thing works like new again.

I was not able to locate exact replacements for the belts (they use those square cross section things) so I used O-rings from the hardware store. Total cost- $1.58 plus about 3 hours to disassemble and reassemble the player.

I_F
Old 1st June 2006, 04:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My first post here please help the n00b!
Hi I have the same problem with skipping and draw but mine also has problems with its controls i.e. they swap opperations.
Kind regards,
FTI
Old 1st June 2006, 05:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

.....Oh yes I forgot to mention sometimes the draw wont open, But when it opens it closes imediately.
Kind regards,
FTI.
Old 2nd June 2006, 05:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK, so reading into what people have been saying here my skipping and drawer not opening probably is a belt related issue, BUT sometimes the draw as I have said opens and closes imediately.
ANY IDEAS?
Also the controls on the front of the machine do what they want i.e. "stop" sometimes "plays", "FF" sometimes "stops"etc.
PLEASE ADVISE.
Old 3rd June 2006, 03:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Free trade inn
OK, so reading into what people have been saying here my skipping and drawer not opening probably is a belt related issue, BUT sometimes the draw as I have said opens and closes imediately.
ANY IDEAS?
Also the controls on the front of the machine do what they want i.e. "stop" sometimes "plays", "FF" sometimes "stops"etc.
PLEASE ADVISE.
Does it behave properly when you use the remote control or does it have the same type of problem? In my VRDS-20 all the connections to all the boards are made via connectored cables. You could try unplugging and reinserting connectors in case some contacts have become dirty, but you may need to replace the controller board (if it is a separate board).

Good luck!

I_F

Hide this!Advertise here!