Rotel RCD-02 Mods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2005, 05:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rotel RCD-02 Mods

I have the service manual for this player and will happily email it to anybody who asks me for it. I'd post it somewhere that it could be downloaded, if anybody gives me advice on an easy way to do this. It's ~3 MB .pdf file.

I'm starting this thead because this player does not sound as good as the RCD-1072 in stock forms and because I really like the look and value of this player. There must be others who have this one too.

I believe that this is something that can be corrected with the appropriate mods. and shared collective experiences.

There's already a thread on swapping the clock here:

Elso Kwack - RCD-02 Clock Upgrade

However, there's likely loads more that can be done with this player.

Elso suggested swapping the OPA2604s for OPA627s (with PCB adapters), for example.

baggystevo82 mentioned tube output could be interesting (challenging) to try.

Well, the ball's rolling...
Old 21st November 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
Hi!

If only they had more room!!! But then I quite like the idea of a few tubes and bits of iron poking out through the cover. I must admit I haven't really been bothering to modify this cdp any further, had enough on my plate with amps and speakers. Hopefully this thread will inspire me to do more!

Steve
Old 11th December 2005, 02:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I finally got around to doing something.

I replaced the OPA2604 op amps with AD8620AR op amps.

Brown Dog Site - AD8620

The funny thing was, when I played it for the first time, I noticed differences that were so subtle that I would have felt ripped off if I didn't know that it takes some time for these things to 'burn in'.

So, happily, after a few days of different CDs on repeat, I powered up my amp and... WOW. Those OPAs must've really sucked!!

The biggest difference is in terms of vocals...there's no more grain. Also, I find that the first track on Muse's 'Absolution' CD, where the piano used to sound all confused and psychotic, now it sounds more...musical.

All in all, I'll be quite happy if any future mods to this player yield the same payback!!
Old 11th December 2005, 06:06 AM   #4
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baggystevo82

But then I quite like the idea of a few tubes and bits of iron poking out through the cover. Hopefully this thread will inspire me to do more!

Steve
I've always kept my tubes inside the box.... In any event, tubes in CD players sound great.

See my web page (if you haven't already) http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/tubedac.htm

I've used mostly submini tubes because they are cute... and small. They come with long leads for pins, and I usually just solder them into circuits like other parts. No bad socket issues. Though tube rolling becomes hard
Old 11th December 2005, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Man, I would love to do that!!

Nice page, BTW!!

However, while I'm still making my way through my copy of Horowitz & Hill, I'm a little gun shy to rip into my player's output stage.

I've ordered a couple of cheap Philips, Sony and Marantz players from ebay with TDM1541A Dacs so that I can practice lighting my hair on fire with those units.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be difficult to build a tube output for the PCM1732U? It's fed by a CXD2545Q.

Well, thanks for giving me something to really shoot for!!
Old 20th December 2005, 01:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Engineria
Default service

MY RCD-02 has stopped reading playing discs, I get no TOC read or even NO disc. When I put a cd in and close the drawer the display shows 00 and then spins up the CD but gets no further. ANyone else have this problem. I am thinking its probably a problem with the laser but would like to hear from anyone elses experiences.

I would also a like a copy of the service manual which would be invaluable in helping me fix my beloved rotel.

Many thanks for reading this. Seb.

email: rose_sebastien@hotmail.com
Old 20th December 2005, 08:40 AM   #7
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb serv. manual

Engineria you got mail
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, that should cover you. Between Elso and I, you should have two copies.

On another note, there are some Electrolytic DC blocking caps between the DAC and the Op-Amps and then some more on the other side of the Op-Amps.

I was thinking of replacing them with Solen Fast Caps (metalized polypropelene or some such thing)

Will this make any (positive) difference? I've had some tell me I should just rip 'em out of there altogether...but I somehow question notion tha the manufacturer (Rotel) would put these in there if they weren't necessary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2005, 06:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
Hi, I run no output caps, but im lucky enough to have very little dc offset, and my amp isn't sensitive to it as it has an input phase splitting transformer.

Steve
Old 22nd December 2005, 06:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would be a liar if I told you that I could look at my Marantz 2285B sechmatics and tell you whether or not it has a phase splitting transformer.

What would I look for? Could I send you the schematics and have you tell me? -I'd be eternally grateful.

I CAN, however poke around with my Fluke and determine whether or not there's a DC offset. I'm not sure how much is too much though...

Well, thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!