SPDIF Output from SAA7020, SAA7000

Hi,
An interesting topic!

Can I ask the question in a different way?

Is the reason for the original query that you have a cd player (which model?) that has a cdm-1 mechanism and you want to retain that and the original case as the basis for a cd-player with spdif output only?

I have also toyed with the idea of upgrading a Philips CD104 - a great player with cdm-1 mech and cast alloy chassis - to a 'better' output ie spdif, 16-bit TDA1541.

I came to the conclusion that the only realistic way of achieving this would be to scrap the 2 existing boards and to replace them with later boards, eg from a Philips CD150, and them modify the laser preamp board. This should not be too difficult as it is mainly mechanical and the connections from the laser, focus and tracking motors are similar.

Just a thought.

Andy

Hi,
I wish people would read the whole post rather than just a part BEFORE commenting!

I did not propose modifying the cd104 - just using the chassis - and yes, I know the TDA1541 is a dac! just as I know that the CD104 uses two TDA1540 dac's and the older chipset .

Rather than do this, I now use a modified Philips CD304 mk2, which has the desired chassis chipset and swingarm mechanism!

I was only asking why the mods were required in the first place!

Thanks

Andy

poynton said:
Hi,
I wish people would read the whole post rather than just a part BEFORE commenting!

I did not propose modifying the cd104 - just using the chassis - and yes, I know the TDA1541 is a dac! just as I know that the CD104 uses two TDA1540 dac's and the older chipset .

Rather than do this, I now use a modified Philips CD304 mk2, which has the desired chassis chipset and swingarm mechanism!

I was only asking why the mods were required in the first place!

Thanks

Andy

the reason to have this mod is to add a SPDIF output to the Marantz CD54. ( which doesn't have one orginally )

poynton said:
I came to the conclusion that the only realistic way of achieving this would be to scrap the 2 existing boards and to replace them with later boards, eg from a Philips CD150, and them modify the laser preamp board. This should not be too difficult as it is mainly mechanical and the connections from the laser, focus and tracking motors are similar.

Just a thought.

Andy

Too radical for me.
Adding just the TDA1541/A is considerably easier than adding SPDIF. The TDA1541/A will interface directly with the SAA7000 or the SAA7030 when in the correct mode and removing the TDA1540's and their associated parts should just about provide enough room for it and its caps on a small board. With a little more effort, one could even cater for both wings of the TDA1541/A cult with glitch-free switching between the output of the SAA7000 and the SAA7030. The crushingly unrelenting blandness of the '1541/A will probably swamp any difference though. An AD or BB device with a nice PMD100 would be a much better bet.
SPDIF is a little more difficult but even here, nothing as radical as removing entire boards is necessary. For example, my current effort, if built using discrete logic, would take around a dozen or more TTL packages but a different SPDIF tx would cut that back, possibly at the expense of a microcontroller. And once the data has been formatted such that the SPDIF tx can accept those so inclined can then add the TDA154whatevertheylike.

rfbrw said:

Too radical for me.
Adding just the TDA1541/A is considerably easier than adding SPDIF. The TDA1541/A will interface directly with the SAA7000 or the SAA7030 when in the correct mode and removing the TDA1540's and their associated parts should just about provide enough room for it and its caps on a small board. With a little more effort, one could even cater for both wings of the TDA1541/A cult with glitch-free switching between the output of the SAA7000 and the SAA7030. The crushingly unrelenting blandness of the '1541/A will probably swamp any difference though. An AD or BB device with a nice PMD100 would be a much better bet.
SPDIF is a little more difficult but even here, nothing as radical as removing entire boards is necessary. For example, my current effort, if built using discrete logic, would take around a dozen or more TTL packages but a different SPDIF tx would cut that back, possibly at the expense of a microcontroller. And once the data has been formatted such that the SPDIF tx can accept those so inclined can then add the TDA154whatevertheylike.

when will the circuit be compleated? i am lookign forward for it

rfbrw said:

Too radical for me.
Adding just the TDA1541/A is considerably easier than adding SPDIF. The TDA1541/A will interface directly with the SAA7000 or the SAA7030 when in the correct mode and removing the TDA1540's and their associated parts should just about provide enough room for it and its caps on a small board. With a little more effort, one could even cater for both wings of the TDA1541/A cult with glitch-free switching between the output of the SAA7000 and the SAA7030. The crushingly unrelenting blandness of the '1541/A will probably swamp any difference though.

After the dig filter it is only 14bit 4x oversampling afaik. I guess the 1541 will still work, but not at 16 bit.

Hi Guido (b)

with the 14-16 bit thing, some of the earlier players had the SOPHI board.

Could this be an entry into solving the issue. After all Sony promoted the 16 bit solution, and those two halves of the player still talked to each other. Also could there be the beginnings of the SPDIF in there as well?

Ray, I feel the pressure of expectation is mounting, (this mission, should you accept..) perhaps sharing the task is possible?

For example, just what bunch of chips were you thinking might be remotely involved?

I don’t mind digging around myself, after all I’m doing it as a for of self-education.

Thanks and cheer.

Philippe
:D

phimor said:
Ray, I feel the pressure of expectation is mounting, (this mission, should you accept..) perhaps sharing the task is possible?

For example, just what bunch of chips were you thinking might be remotely involved?

I don’t mind digging around myself, after all I’m doing it as a for of self-education.

Thanks and cheer.

Philippe
:D

1 XC4003E
1 CS8402A
1 33.8688Mhz oscillator

XC4000E and XC4000X Series Field Programmable Gate Arrays

XC4003E AU$96.90 (approx US$60) :bigeyes:

Hummm.....

Maybe this is not the best place to buy (RS), or I got the wrong part, but it looks like this is a show stopper for me.

Now...Where is that Marantz CD40...

Cheers

Philippe

RS is definitely not the best place to buy but you have the right part or at least an incarnation of it. It has a number of variants none of them cheap.
The XC4003E is completely impractical for this purpose and obsolete as is the ispLSI1016 into which the circuit also fits. I only used them to prototype, a process for which, FPGA's and CPLD's are very convenient. As I said a while ago, I intend some thing a lot smaller.
Any of the smaller VQ44 CPLD (PLCC-44 is also an option)devices should do and all the players in the CPLD racket will have something suitable and cheap. But you can still use 74 series TTL, if you want a Jamma board.

A more useful response to Phimor's question.

7 inverters
5 4bit synchronous counters
3 8bit shift registers
3 D-type flip-flops
1 D-type flip-flop with asynchronous clear
1 2-to-1 multiplexer
1 2-input nand gate
1 5-input and gate