DSD ADCs and DACs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Does anyone know if any chip manufacturer makes DSD type ADCs? I'm looking at implementing a multichannel delay for my horns and, well, generally I find PCM sucks. There won't be any processing going on, just a simple delay that I can tap at a number of points for the varying length horns.

Also any opinions are welcome on the various flavours of DACs out there that support DSD.

Cheers

Burr Brown makes a few DSD capable DAC's that also accept PCM. If you look at their data sheets, they simply have two front end recievers, one for the DSD, and one for the PCM. After that the signal goes to the same oversampling filter, and the same DAC output, so in theory they will sound exactly the same, given the same input data.
Specifically I'm talking about the DSD1608, 8 channel DAC. I got a couple on sample, and have yet to put it into a working project. I have to work myself up to figuring how to solder a 52 pin SMD chip with 0.65mm pin spacing.

Cheers, Adrian

check out the wiki...

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=SurfaceMountDeviceRework

Specifically, there's a relevant link at the very bottom of the page... (the one to elm-chan.org)

I know the page looks a bit boring, but there are helpful pictures behind most of the links. Maybe some day they'll be displayed in the actual article as I intended...

Uhh.. the contents of that link might blow your mind at first, but I hope you'll eventually start to see how it's done and that it's actually not as hard as it looks. I think it's mostly a matter of getting your head around the idea of working with such tiny things. :spin:

I have some additional comments to post to the wiki, specifically with respect to that link and my experiences with the technique, so I'll try and do that soon. I also need to post a few photos and comments for the other SMD construction techniques.

just a peek at elm-chan.org:

Attachments

• mpc_pcb3.jpeg
    mpc_pcb3.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 301
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.