S/PDIF Digital output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have an Arcam Alpha 5 working only as a transport. I built a new digital output with a new Pulse transformer (see att. picture).

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome.

Katapum

Attachments

• digout3.jpg
    digout3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 5,193
At least 2 of you guys have been paying attention.............

OK, assuming that he fixes those problems, what transformer is it?? All pulse transformers are not created equally. Most are useless for SPDIF.

If you don't believe me, try the one that comes stock in Philips CPDs. Designed to minimise EMI, not performance.

Jocko

The Pulse is not a bad choice.

You need to figure out the Z of the chip, take that into account, and pad down the ouptut. That is one way, probably the easiest.

Never looked at any of the trafos you ention. Would not be surprised if they aren't that good. I know, you would think so.............

If someone has some pull-outs, send them to me, and I can measure them.

Edit:

I see where you posted a schematic. A bit hard to read..........looks like something Philips would do. Nope, I like it even less.

Jocko

Well, you didn't tell me that you are a "noob".

OK, figure it is around 25 ohms. Close enough for this circuit. A few ohms either way is closer than 0, which is what you.....and some famous audio designers........planned on.

At least you are not a professional, and have nothing to feel ashamed about. They are, and should be.

(Now you know more than they do! Don't tell them: their egos won't allow it.)

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.