Creative soudbasher X-FI ???? To or not to .. X-over ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am upgrading my computer within this month
( waiting on some new products to be available )

And i am seriously looking out for a new soud card...
Reason is that i am completly fedup of having to switch everything everytime i go from Music to Gaming ..

My current Waveterminal 192 doesn't support gaming much ( as almost all the semi/pro sound cards )
And it is seriously imparing my listening sessions ..

my onboard audio plain sucks for any real music,
it also does for games, but at least it doesn't make my computer crash !!!

So now we have this new Creative card called X-Fi ...
i've read some reviews from Digitlife, and Tomshardware

@toms they've run the elitepro model trhough Righmark
and i have to say that i am greatly impressed by the results ...it surpasses my Waveterminal in all tests,
and it is compatible with all games and newer stuff

I know i know, creative stuff is real junk ..normally

but could they have surpasssed themselves on this one?
It also features a 3 mode options,

gaming, creation and Entertainement

Fully supports Asio 2.0 24/96

And the front pannel option with the digital inputs and headphone jack would greatly replaced my waveterminal's rear jacks ...

( i bought the waveterminal mainly because with the added card i had the option for optical digital input = Playstation 2 with great sound :p )

Then i thought about it,
why don't creative make a stupid "advanced menu "
with digital crossovers , phase adjustments and DRC for all outputs ?

Can you imagine just how many of us, would love to have those options , wich should be fairly easy to implement on this card view the number of dsp , paths and stuff is has on ??????????

I don't understand why some market dweeb they pay whatever 70-100K/year at Creative, dind't think about that ??????????

Could we use all those nifty dsp and all features to make some in card menu X-overs and all ?

I'd love to be able to set this up withing the card drivers,
and be able to use this for ALL outputs
( that means GAMES, MUSIC, creation .... )

neway, this is just a quick comment on what i think
would be a great step forward for most of us, if available within the drivers of this card.
Since it seems to deliver quality output beyond what we will need within years to come ..

WHY IS IT NEVER SIMPLE!! ??? :p

Well, if you want a X-Fi, go for the top of the line model, don't take the Fatality version.

You'll get the same DACs that are on the Lynx 2, you'll get better hardware resampling than most software resamplers can do.

You may want to join the 3dss community where several members already got an X-Fi. Webpage is mostly dead but the forums are still very active.

http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl?Cat=

Hey! merci beaucoup pour le lien Simon :)

Did you find anything about crossovers over there?

i've posted a similar thread to this one at AVSForum

we'll see what i can get out of there ..

Maybe i could try and contact some people at Creative's ... i've got some good contacts in the industry!

Maybe talk to some of the marketing or driver people
and ask them about if they could get a crossover feature implemented in the drivers!
would be kick ***!!!

my good friend JinMTVT, havent you heard of the kx project?
thirdparty drivers for a diversity of soundcards that'l do just about everything. (yes, digital\activ crossing)
the driver is much better than creative's own IMHO.

it works like a charm on my audigy2.

lemme see..
http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/
here? jupp, here.

took me awhile to figure out how to activate the dsp's, mostly problems finding the right meny, but when i did, using and configuring it was a walk in the park. genious for when you wanna try out different crossing frequency's before building something solid.
enjoy ;)

-Marius

hey MArius! sup dude ? :)

Yeah i've read on that stuff already ..
nice project! but this isn't what we need!!!!

Tell me why WE are discussing about crossover and DRC and why the companies aren't making any products for that ?

The market would be soooo high for a card that would do the following things :

- present decent pro quality dacs and paths for analog output
- support recent AEX ( without the need of super options and all, just so it would be compatible )
- have 6 to 8 channel output
- driver enabled crossover on each output dont at final stage before sending to DACs
- support for developping custom "plugins" such as DRC
to use it with a good EQ , on each channel again
- support for all DVD and upcoming dolby stuff for multichannel

thiking about it, it is not that much
the further i have yet seen is only BASS MANAGEMent
on some cards ... while it is a good option, it sure feels like 1980's are coming back at us!

WHERE ARE THE DAMN CROSSOVERS AND TWEAKING OPTIONS ?

what i don't quite get also, is that this is mostly only SOFTWARE options, wich are not costy and can be implemented within driver releases and can be used only at will !!

GIMMME SOME OPTIONS GOD DAMMIT! :p

Is there ANY sound card drivers that provide us with crossover within the drivers at all ?
I seriously don't get why this has not yet been implemented ...neway

i'm getting mad now!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.