DTS Pass-through digital output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AFAIK, it means that it would give you bit accurate output and it can't decode DTS. You should be able to use this player as source for DAC

No, when trying to play a DTS soundtrack, it needs to be connected to some device capable of decoding DTS, such as a home theatre receiver. A DAC will output either silence or horrific noise, depeding on whether it obeys the "non-audio data" flag in the S/PDIF stream.

The digital output can also be used to output 2-channel PCM (this is what your DAC wants), or a Dolby Digital data stream. What comes out of the digital output depends on: 1) what type of soundtrack is being played, and 2) the setup of the player.

macboy said:

No,
when trying to play a DTS soundtrack, it needs to be connected to some device capable of decoding DTS, such as a home theatre receiver. A DAC will output either silence or horrific noise, depeding on whether it obeys the "non-audio data" flag in the S/PDIF stream.
I don't think that Sandor mentioned DTS soundtrack. He just cited part of the specs.
My message consists of 3 parts, could you please indicate which part of it is wrong:
[ ] it would give bit accurate output
[ ] it can't decode DTS
[ ] it can be used as source for DAC
Thanks,
Viktor

I have in mind to play vaw files, obtained from a CD ripping tool, with the portable player. I want to bypass the internal DAC and connect the digital output to the DAC of my hifi gear (better sound expected).
Is that "DTS pass-through digtal output" suitable for this job?
Best regards.

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.