Add analog outputs to cheap digital receivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks!

Does someone already tried to add analog outputs (preout) to one of these cheap digital receivers bases on TI components as tas5066, or tas5086 ?

The way is to connect an external power amplifier.

These receivers generaly have only one analog output for subwoofer but no more. Looking on the application notes, I discovered that analog sub output from the PWB modulator is done with a small circuit as this one below. This can may be done for other channels using that way?

Any idea or place to look will be please.

Attachments

• sub-out.jpg
    sub-out.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 289
Does anyone have any experience of being able to get line level preouts from the internals of an integrated av receiver? Essentially using it as a stand alone dolby/dts decoder?

I can get summed stereo from the tape out I assume? - but I would like to have the rears and centre maintained as discrete channels.

The specific model concerned is the Sony STRDE495 (not a good sounding amp but it does the decoding I want from multiple sources (DVD, XBOX, DTS-CD) - so please don't suggest using a cheap DVD with preouts as that won't cover my application).

Many thanks,

Dan

If the amp doesn't sound good, whose to say if it's the power section or the line section? My thought being that after going to all the trouble of adding line outs it may still sound poor. Personally I would just sell it and buy something more inline with your needs. There's not much room on the backs of these things for extra sockets anyway.

I do take your point, but what this would achieve for some people is that you could still benefit from the digital decoding for dvd and xbox etc. as you could connect the decoder simply as another input, alongside cd, tape etc. playing directly into to your higher quality amp(s). I wouldn't propose to keep the av amp as an input hub for analogue devices. My personal experience is that mediocre home cinema / gaming is more tolerable than mediocre music reproduction due to the visual / interactive distractions so I do think it could be worth it. The av amp I have is pretty sparce at the back - so no issue there either :)

(All) That said I would have no idea of how to add such outputs hence me seeking advice as to whether it was possible.

Thanks (as always) for your sage input Richie - you're a handy guy to have around on these forums!

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.