will a dvd recr w/HD work as a CD server/transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have learned much on this site regarding dac construction and I'm most appreciative. My current confiquiration is dual 1541a/s1 with much attention to the output stage and power supply , utilizing the expertise available here. Between this and my gainclone amplification, this is the most satisfying musical reproduction I have had in my 20 year audiophile career. I would now really like to condense some of my 700+ CD collection on to some sort of server device , but without great expense and sonic compromise. I prefer not to incorporate a computer in my 2 channel system. Looking for a cheap alternative , I notice the dvd player/recorders with harddrive(160gb) are available with coax output, and at a price that appears reasonable. Would these players be useful as a server for CD storage , and ultimately playback with my current 16bit dac ? Any opinions ? thanks , Paul

You then want something with a harddrive that plays flacs(free lossless audio codec), and have a pure digital output. Se flac.sf.net, and the supported devices there. if you got a computer with a harddrive big enoug that is on a lot, you migth actually use a streaming solution with flacs.

se this link:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

hardware capable of doing what you want.
dvd players with harddrives ain't really god when it comes to audio :-/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.