I'm looking for a small DIY solution to play Sacd and DVD-audio with my DVDROM withou

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a small DIY solution to play Sacd and DVD-audio with my DVDROM without a computer.
On the market today there are several players who use a DVDROM using the IDE connector to a small circuit in the same cabinet.
If you use the SPDIF you can only listen to ordinary CD sound.

Regard

Progg

On the market today there are several players who use a DVDROM using the IDE connector to a small circuit in the same cabinet.
That "small circuit" is a very complex one. This is well beyond what a DIY'er can do (at least currently). Also, SACD cannot be read by a DVDROM. It uses a physical watermarking process as part of the encryption of the data. Without the right hardware to read the decryption keys from the disc itself, you cannot decode the disc. No DVDROM has that hardware; none ever will. DVD-Audio also uses some very strong encryption (much stronger than DVD video) that you would not be able to overcome (again, at least not currently). Not to mention that a DVD-Audio player needs to be a fully functional DVD Video player, since the menu/navigation system on DVD-Audio discs is based on that technology.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's pretty doubtful that the typical diyer could get access to the chipset required to decode dvd-audio or sacd for even what you term a small DIY solution.

Also just because the mechanism looks like a standard computer dvd rom does not mean that in fact it is. Cost effective engineering would have you combining/reusing as many existing parts as possible in such a mechanism.

Please cite a few examples of such players using this approach as a possible starting point - I am no expert, but I haven't seen any yet.

Also you ought to be willing to do the research, it's not reasonable to petulantly demand that of others. Macboy gave you useful and to my knowledge quite accurate information, if he is not absolutely right then it is probably up to you to disprove the hypothesis.

It would be an interesting project if possible. Perhaps a better starting point would be to buy one of these players for that mechanism and chipset and just improve it.

Kevin

Re: He....

Progg70 said:

If a manufacture can do a cost effective solution then a DIY can do one better.

No way. Have been there (mass production at Philips) and forget about everything else when it comes to cost effectiveness.

Modern PC drives can physically read and write everything. The thing is if the decoding is able to cope with all disc formats, this is where various drives differ.

best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.