Upgrading the Tentlabs DAC (split from- Anyone use this clock upgrade?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kenshin said:

Four legged XTAL (with internal oscillator) from a manufacturer making aerospace components should be something good.

Good for aerospace does not imply good enough for audio....... Again, a meaured spec of the jitter is welcome and could convince us of the quality. All other is useless. I include one meaurement of a TentLabs XO2 oscillator module.

Attachments

• tentlabs xo2 11.2896 mhz.jpg
    tentlabs xo2 11.2896 mhz.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 848
Guido,

I know that it was not yesterday, the design phase. Having seen Your opinion changed since then, could You suggest something better for a tweaker type old customer of yours? Or, to put it in another way, do you consider it a possible tweak point, looking at it from a general balanced design point of view?

Thanks, George

Attachments

• dig_r2b_crop.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 220
Joseph K said:
Guido,

I know that it was not yesterday, the design phase. Having seen Your opinion changed since then, could You suggest something better for a tweaker type old customer of yours? Or, to put it in another way, do you consider it a possible tweak point, looking at it from a general balanced design point of view?

Thanks, George

Yes, that deseign was finalised about 10 years ago

Nowadays I'd suggest a string of 3 red LEDs, biased by say a cr511. That gives a clean 5V reference. All you need is a buffer, for example an OPA134 with an emitter follower in unity feedback.

best

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would have some other questions / notes of this type. I was considering the idea of opening a thread at a certain point, maybe it could be useful for others as well. But now, pardon me, I just can't resist, in your opinion exchanging the TLC271 for some newcomers like
LMV 771 from nat.semi or opa725 or max4475 would go in the same direction?

Ciao, George

Joseph K said:
Thanks for the quick reply!

I would have some other questions / notes of this type. I was considering the idea of opening a thread at a certain point, maybe it could be useful for others as well. But now, pardon me, I just can't resist, in your opinion exchanging the TLC271 for some newcomers like
LMV 771 from nat.semi or opa725 or max4475 would go in the same direction?

Ciao, George

Hi George

Yes, you could consider a thread on upgrding that DAC

Look for low input current noise opamps to upgrade the PLL

best

Guido,

Thanks again!
That power supply suggestion is sensible. It was not me who asked about the CR511...

Bocka,
Thanks for the goodwill. In fact, I was looking for these parameters.
The LMV771 seems to be readily available, RR opamp, input bias current is 0.2 pA [against .6 of the tlc], input offset current is 17fA [against 100 fA of the tlc]

What regards 1/f noise, this was what I was hunting for, the LMV771 has en=12.5nV at 100 Hz, against ~300nV of the tlc271.
in for LMV is 1fA, NA for tlc.
Wanted to put up here the noise curves, still fighting with it.

The other opamps perform equally or better. What I wanted to point out that there has happened a revolution lately in the cmos opamp field, and we could profit from it..

Ciao, George

bocka said:
On a first view the LMV751 is also promising

Hi,

Please not in the DAC design the opamp runs at about 6V. This to ensure the VCXO can be driven easilly up to 4.5V. This value has never been measured, mostly it is between 2 and 3V so 5V could be safely chosen for this opamp. Please adapt power supply then.

Nice opamp, from spec point of view. I bet they all sound different when applied in the PLL, so go ahead and try them all !

best

Re: LED is a low noise component, but not high PSRR.

Jocko Homo said:
Nope. Seems he has no idea what the current diode is for.

So........now this thread has wandered off into upgrading the XO-DAC? Clan Abruzzese at work again, eh.

Jocko

Hi Jocko.

No, the attached schematic is of our first DAC, published years ago. Indeed, many people seem to have pronblems thinking in the current domain, even more difficult to think PNP since NPN is always taken as examples....

XO DAC bennefits from the same supply as XO2 and 3: < 5nV/SqrrtHz..........

best

Carlos, welcome!

I hate it, but I have to point out that I was looking for cmos opamps..
With low input bias & offset currents and unity gain stability.
This BB one, though is not applicable in the special application discussed here, is a "meraviglia' in itself. A new arrival in that wonderful family of stratosferic amplifiers, which started with comlinear. At our job here these things are having a task. That LMH6624 mentioned is also a real beauty. Though I have to say that the original CLC ones, which were maybe even older than a tlc271, had already almost the same incredible parameters.

Ciao, George

Carlos,

by the way, as I have it at hand, I just can't stand & not show this pic about the way how these things should be applied:

[This is what I would call good low impedance power supply decoupling, up into the hundreds MHz region, ai it is absolutely necessary with such a chip]

Ciao, George

Attachments

• img_8647.jpg
    img_8647.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 501
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.