CD960 belts specs & service manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CD960 belts specs & service manual

Hello friends of DuyAudio,

1. I own a CD960 with it's rewarded transport. The belts are worn/stretched and I try to get replacements. Does anyone have formal specs of the diameters and thickness of the square belts (4 in total) and recoomendations where to buy them in the Netherlands?

2. If anyone has a technical service manual on this machine I would be delighted to get a copy.

3. Last but not least, what's your experience with hooking up a separate DA convertor. Should I use optical of coax digital out? What is a fair priced DA convertor which realy sounds nice, you reccomend to me to look for?
I have a power amp with Balanced inputs so perhaps there is also a DA convertor (with attanuator) which I feed directly into the power amp.

You can get original replacement belts from SEME in the UK and Charles Hyde in the UK. Say you have a Marantz CD94, it's the same mechanism.

About £30 for the 4 belts. Tray belt, Cam belt, and two Motor belts (the small thin ones).

OR...

CPC do a range of near enough size belts, cost about £2 for all four.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...=belts&Nto=blets&newSearch=true&No=75#results

AVBELT77 £0.26 37 x 1.9mm ( original=36.2x1.6) it will do for both Cam drive (the tray lifter) and Motor and belts.

AVBELT91 £0.55 51.5 x 2mm Tray drive belt (the very long one)

I think so.

We've recently found that the supposedly OEM belts supplied by SEME and Charles Hyde vary in length.

Comparing the original and new belts we had 3 different lengths for each belt size. The CPC belts are different again.

None of the new belts were good enough on the last 960 repair. The new ones were too stretchy or seemed to have lost their grip. We reused some old original belts from various donor CDM1 Philips players and moved the motors so they were further from the pulleys. That tightened the belts a bit.

Just a bit more info in case it helps anyone:

Philips part numbers for the belts:

Tray 482235830903
Cam 482235830763
Motor 482235830762

Tray is the long one.
Cam is the short thick one.
Motor are the two short thin ones that go on the motor pulleys.

Same numbers for the Marantz CD94.

I think the OE tray belt might be 2.2mm diameter, so 10% thicker than the CPC AVBELT91. That might mean it stretches less and maybe works better.

Thanks for linking the threads.

Yes, they are the same belts in the CD94 and are interchangeable with the CD960 belts.

I just phoned Charles Hyde and bought their last two tray belts.

The motor and cam belts from them are discontinued.

From SEME the tray drive belt is discontinued.

Just a bit more info in case it helps anyone:

Philips part numbers for the belts:

Tray 482235830903
Cam 482235830763
Motor 482235830762

Tray is the long one.
Cam is the short thick one.
Motor are the two short thin ones that go on the motor pulleys.

Same numbers for the Marantz CD94.

I think the OE tray belt might be 2.2mm diameter, so 10% thicker than the CPC AVBELT91. That might mean it stretches less and maybe works better.

Belt for the tray, part No from Philips 4822 358 30903 (482235830903) for me unknown.
Therefore I have study some service manuals for the Marantz CD-7 and CD-94
(Philips CD-304 MK-II and CD-960 uses the same Loader A'ssy)

Here a more exactly describtion of all needed belts for Philips CD-960,
Marantz CD-94, Philips CD-304 MK-II and partly Marantz CD-7
so as some Philips compact disc player from LHH series.

Follow belts are necessary for loader A'ssy A001, used both for old CDM-2/CDM-4
and new VAM12xx mechanism units,
Philips/Marantz loader part No 482269110787/355K304520+355K304510:

1) Belt 051M part No 4822 358 30762 (482235830762) / 167K264010 Motor M003
Belt from pulley 049M on motor M003 to pulley 047M (= pulley, clamperdrive 167K262020)
Belt with the shortest life time

2) Belt 052M part No 4822 358 30763 (482235830763) / 167K264020 CAM DRIVE

Belt from 047M (= pulley, clamperdrive 167K262020) to 045M (CAM, clamperdrive 167K054010)

3) Belt 025M part No 4822 358 30762 (482235830762) / 167K264010 (same Part No than 051M)
Belt from Pulley 021M on Motor M002 to Tray Drive Pulley

4) Belt 026M part No I find only from Marantz, No 167K264030

Belt from Tray Drive Pulley to Wire Wheel Pulley
Philips part No unknown, maybe identical with 026M from Marantz CD7 exploded view
part No 4822 358 31065/ 221K264010 go to
http://www.bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Marantz_CD-7_SM.pdf

Last edited:
You can repair sliping belts by shortening them. Cut-out 2-3 mm and glue together by cyanoacrylat glue. Route the cuts in skew direction, not perpendicular.
Repaired the 051M belt and it works again.

This is a good solution, if new devices are no longer available and if the rubber material isn't brittle (cracking through fissures). If I want to get special diameter sizes (individual belts), current meter of belt materials with certainly thickness is necessary. If I have this I can carried out the same methody. I have heard about such suppliers but I have forget the exactly delivery sources; perhaps you know this.

For additional informations about the exct belt sizes for the loader of this model go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/89200-help-philips-cd960.html#post2226966

Last edited:
You can repair sliping belts by shortening them. Cut-out 2-3 mm and glue together by cyanoacrylat glue. Route the cuts in skew direction, not perpendicular.

Repaired the 051M belt and it works again.
It definitely worth a try. But expect it to fail sooner or later.

The rubber the belt is made of usually deteriorates and no longer has the elasticity or grip on the pulleys.

I've cut belts down, as you suggest, abraded their surfaces, cleaned them in various cleaners, never had success.

Of course I suppose the rubber isn't brittle, which I bet is the case when first belt in CD-960 fails (the outer one on clamp mechanism) The shortening compensates for lost elasticity. To some degree, for some time... sure. Mine still works half year after repair, whereas other attempts (various new belts of non-original cross section) always failed after several days.

Today I changed the belts on two Philips CD960 players.

I used CPC:
AVBELT77 37mm x 1.9mm
AVBELT91 51.5mm x 2mm

On the tray lift side:
• AVBELT77 was good for the smaller 'motor' belt.
• AVBELT77 was good for the 'cam' pulley belt though it might be a bit tight and has to be stretched over the pulleys. This grips well and works well but I was mildly concerned that in time some wear may be caused to the pulleys around the bearing pins and so a slightly longer belt may be better in that respect.

On the tray sliding mechanism:
• AVBELT91 was good for the longer belt. Gripped and worked will with no slippage or squeaking.
• AVBELT77 gripped but the lowest point of the slider (that bolts to the wire and has the rubber buffer in front) overlaps this 1.9mm belt and jams causing the tray to be stopped. My fix was to use the Lindstrom oblique flush cutters and snip off maybe 0.2mm or 0.3mm of the rubber belts square edge so it's more of a triangle belt than square. This then cleared the slider and gripped and worked well. No stretching when under strain. Though if you don't have good cutters a thinner belt would have to be used.

To do it I removed the lid and bottom plate, the on/off switch rod, two cir-clips, the cam pulley, the tray pulley with the wire looped around but held it without letting go and moved the belt off and then put the pulley back on, so the wires loops stayed put and the spring stayed joined. Same for fitting the new belt but take great care to not get grease or oil on the belt.

I cleaned the pulley grooves with Isopropyl alcohol and 'kitchen roll' paper and a small flat screwdriver. With the belts off and the player on, pressing the tray button spins the motors for a few seconds. I used this to clean the smallest pulleys. Then the larger ones manually. Then fit the small belt and spin the motors to clean the smaller combined pulley and the larger ones manually. Saves some time. Be careful to not damage anything or short circuit the player or yourself! If you're not 100% certain that you'll not drop the screwdriver on powered up circuit parts then don't do it!

I cleaned all the old grease off the round rail and applied a very thin layer of 'white grease', I wipe it on with a small piece of kitchen roll as if I was cleaning the rod. Some types of grease on this rod clog and make the tray move slower. I don't know what the Philips / Marantz recommendation is for this.

On the other side with the plastic runner, I move some of the existing grease back into the path of the plastic runner or add a small amount of white grease.

At all times be sure to not get any grease onto the new belts.

With the tray open I removed the tray pulley with the wire looped around it, but held it without letting go....

You can't do it with the tray closed as when it is, the wire from the back of the tray to the pulley is too short to allow the pulley to come off far enough.

The tray bearing guide rod ('round rail') is not lubricated with grease. The tray runs on 'Oilite' sintered bronze bushings which are lubricated with a very small amount of light oil (and sometimes additional anti-friction additives) - no more that the porous bearing itself will 'absorb'. They are normally impregnated ('pre-lub'd') on manufacture. Grease should not be used, it is too heavy, will clog the bushings and cause too much 'drag'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.