op amp cost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

How expensive are the op amps?

My SONY (cdp-312)CD player has two JRP 4556 op amps and I have found that one good replacement is AD 8610.

I would like to know from where I could get these op amps.
The reason why I'm asking the price is because my CD player is rather old and it may not make sense to spend too much money for tweaking it.

I like the sound of this CD player over my DVD,but few things are bothering me.There is less bass and sometimes the >S< sounds very irritating,overall I like the kind of "analogic" sound of this player.
One more question,do I need two single or two dual op amps?

Opamp substitution

Hi

In fact the 4556 is an old opamp pratically obsolete by now.
It's a dual 741 (or similar) that doesn't rend justice to more
modern audio circuitry. Of course if you are to replace a dual
IC you must replace it with a compatible one that has at least the same physical configuration and electrical compatibility.

One good replacement opamp that you should consider is the
Burr Brown OPA2604 that has excelent distortion figure, low
noise and very high bandwith (20 Mhz) providing superior
performance in high end audio circuitry. Low noise FET input
and very high source impedance.
However I'm not sure if it is directly compatible with your 4556,
and that you have to check out.

The cost? Here in the States it costs $3.56 each, at Digi-Key,
http://www.digi-key.com.

Wheather you use this one or not, if you are to replace the
4556 you should replace by a high quality opamp, even the 5532
is better than that one even if you consider its age.
Good luck

IC compatibility

Hello again

Afinal eles são absolutamente compativeis fisicamente!
Yes they are compatible, pin by pin. However we are talking
about the 4556AD/AM/AV, 8 pin DIP Ic, not the 4556 AL which
is a 8 pin in line package.
There is a significant difference in price between the OPA and
the AD, $3.56 to $9.00.......

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a thought

4556 is normally used to drive headphones and has a higher output current rating than most op amps. Like 70 mA into 250 R loads (from the JRC datasheet). In signal applications you would see things like 4558, 4559, 4560.

If this is a servo or headphone amp part I'd just leave it if I were you. PM me and I'll sent you the PDF file. It's about 170KB, to big to post.

-Chris

Quáse a mesma coisa "se não há grão, levas feijão"...

As far as I´m concerned my post stands the same way for the
4558. As a matter of fact I was under the impression that you meant 4558 even though the 4556 is basicallly the same.
So my suggestion about the OPA2604 still stands.
There was one time that almost all the japanese companies
used the 4558 as "the" standard opamp for audio, including
Sony.
I own a CPD650 CD player (God bless it!) for a number of years
and this one is probably more recent than yours and being
so they used the 5532 almost exclusively.... and this one was
a Rolls Royce at the time.
Nowadays all these have been surperced and are almost obsolete.
Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi pikkujöpö,
The 4558 has a slew rate of 1V/uS, pretty garden variety. Note that a "D" or "DD" suffex denotes quieter versions for audio use. It's a bipolar input device. Replace with a bipolar input part. NE5532 may work well here.

This is not an expensive op amp by any means.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jmateus,
Please read my reply above. JRC4556 is a different animal to most and I think they still use it. Not the same as JRC4558 at all. I can send you the datasheet if you wish. SR=3V/uS GBP=8Mhz. The load is 150R (wrong key on my first post - oops).

Also, NE5532 sounds good still and is really inexpensive. A good first try, then to your suggestion if there is a difference. Also note that the OPA2604 is a FET input device (may or may not matter) and that the higher bandwidth may cause it to oscillate without additional bypassing. Depends on the circuit and layout.

-Chris

Thanks again for your replys :)

The opa2604 and opa 2134(or maybe 2132) have the price for my budget.I also found a place (Farnell) who sells them.

They also have ne5532 op amps.Do you think I should also order two of them,just in case the opa op amps don't fit to my CD player?The ne5532 only costs about 1euro each.

Hi

I went for opa2132 and the sound of my "new" player is great,the sound really is much better than before.

It took some care to solder the SOIC op amps ,I also soldered 0.1uF polypropylene capacitor between the + and - of the amp.Changed the 100uF output capacitors to 10uf and reduced the resistance from 1100 to 500ohm.Also removed the RCA connectors and now the coaxial cables go thru the holes directly to the output caps.Also removed the mute transistors.

Once more thanks for help:)

2134's are nothing special. They tend to blur the sound, the bottom end in particular. They also sound warm to the point of melting.

I suggest very good all-rounder OP275 or an excellent AD826. The later will give you 1:1 presentation - what goes in - comes out, with excellent details (reed: good 2D and 3D) and top and bottom definition. However, its implementation requires very good all-around quality of the CD player / DAC because it is very revealing of everything: flaws, as well as qualities.

Extreme_Boky

Hi

My knowledge with the electronics is very limited.

I didn't test if the removal of the mute transistors(SMD) made any improvement to the sound but this seems to be the easyest tweak to do,there is slight "thump" when switching the power but it doesn't bother at all when switching on the CD player before the amplifier.

The output voltage was so low that I could have propably removed the caps but "just in case" I used the 10uF ones.

Overall I'm happy with the sound for now,specially the low end is improved and now I can hear details newer heared before in my favorite records.
As this is a cheap CD player with about 10years(little usage though)and the components cost only about 15euros.Actually I'm happy there is still sound after my tweaks.....:smash:

p.s. I covered the inside of the box with some "betume felt" I had laying around,in order tho dampen the vibrations.At least it made the player heavyer and now it doesn't move anymore when pressing the power button.

Once you start switching opamps, you want more, bettter, improving. Your getting hooked, it's almost like a desease but of a healthy kind.. :)
I also started with OPA 2604, changed them into OPA 2134 although they sound very much improving but a bit too warm brownish in definition.
I've also tried LT 1361 and many many more but my present favorite is defenitly OPA 627, f*cking exspensive as you need 4 of them and also the adapters from Brown Dog.
But.. they will last forever because they are really the WOW Factor I always wanted.
You want real improvement? Goose bumps? Get yourself OPA627 and be amazed, you won't regret it !!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.