Anyone use this clock upgrade? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2005, 12:13 AM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone use this clock upgrade?

I was just wondering if anyone has used this clock upgrade.

http://www.hifidiy.net/shop/views.asp?hw_id=52

It is way cheaper then the aftermarket clocks I have seen before but if it's no better then the clock in my CD player it would be a waste.
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks very good!

Solid power supply (just add fast switching / soft recovery bridge rectifier made of 4 diodes - remove the original DIL rectifier!) + what appears to be a very good Xtal oscillator. For the money - it's a steal!!! (Depending on location and function, that 74VHC04 may have to be replaced with unbuffered version - not an expert on this one, but I think it should be 74UHC04 - or something like that - to lazy to check... Friday evening, going to run soon!!!)

They obviously know that power supply is very important - you get 317's and OSCons - not bad at all. Local decoupling uses film capacitors – again, a very good sign.

And the “best”: the xtal is suspended on 4 rubber bends - cheers! (This is important marketing point of sale factor!).

Thanks for sending the link. It looks very good, components are ok, price is very good, its “suspended”…– will try one to check its sound.

Extreme_Boky
Old 23rd September 2005, 01:55 PM   #3
philbyx is offline philbyx  France
diyAudio Member

Yes, all seems to be good, but crystals are specified 10ppm, but ppm has nothing to do with jitter, then...

Philippe
Old 23rd September 2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Banned

At least one of you guys is paying attention...........

I could be wrong, but it looks like a canned oscillator, with a buffer and '317 for a supply. Even if it is a crystal instead, you guys can do just as good on your own, if not better. Unless you use a noise redcution circuit, a '317 doesn't cut it for low noise.

It is a "novice" kit, so unless you want practice soldering, you may be best served by searching here for the numerous clock circuits. It does not need a PCB. Old copper-clad will work, and maybe better.

Jocko
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Loved that hat...
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyone use this clock upgrade?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ
I was just wondering if anyone has used this clock upgrade.

http://www.hifidiy.net/shop/views.asp?hw_id=52

It is way cheaper then the aftermarket clocks I have seen before but if it's no better then the clock in my CD player it would be a waste.
Would love to see a jitter measurement or decent spec (ppm's are not). True, it is not much money (but what does it bring you ?). By the way an LM317 produces too much output noise for all oscillators I came across so far........

best
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Extreme_Boky
Looks very good!

And the “best”: the xtal is suspended on 4 rubber bends - cheers! (This is important marketing point of sale factor!).

Extreme_Boky
any clue of the resonance frequency of the sub assembly and the rubber ? And how would the 3 wires interconnecting the 2 boards affect the isolation ?

Indeed typical marketing stuff
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

No clue but for even at that price it very probably beats 99% of the standard clock circuits in cdplayers hands down. I do not think the circuit with the rubber band functions less good than other standard canned XOs without the rubber band. In other words: maybe it does not bring much but it doesn't take much either. It certainly looks cool FWIW.

I bet its price/quality ratio is better than that of most other clocks on the market..... Not every person wants a clock that costs more than the cdplayer it is going to be fit in
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
No clue but for that price it very probably beats 99% of the standard clock circuits in cdplayers hands down. I do not think the circuit with the rubber band functions less good than other standard canned XOs without the rubber band. In other words: maybe it does not bring much but it doesn't take much either. It certainly looks cool FWIW.

I bet its price/quality ratio is better than that of most other clocks on the market..... Not every person wants a clock that costs more than the cdplayer it is going to be fit in
Hi JP

I have no clue on the performance, so truly can't judge it. A spec would be nice. If someone has one and is willing to send one, I can measaure and satisfy my own curiosity (no, I won't share reesults).

And the rubbers can be left out, believe me, been there done that .....
Old 24th September 2005, 08:09 AM   #10
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And how would the 3 wires interconnecting the 2 boards affect the isolation ?
Yes indeed as other subchassis devices the resonancefreq. rises with stiff wires, so best is to mount very thin and/or coiled wires to xtal, but that will give some inductive extra's again, so....?

Hide this!Advertise here!