Anyone use this clock upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks very good!

Solid power supply (just add fast switching / soft recovery bridge rectifier made of 4 diodes - remove the original DIL rectifier!) + what appears to be a very good Xtal oscillator. For the money - it's a steal!!! (Depending on location and function, that 74VHC04 may have to be replaced with unbuffered version - not an expert on this one, but I think it should be 74UHC04 - or something like that - to lazy to check... Friday evening, going to run soon!!!)

They obviously know that power supply is very important - you get 317's and OSCons - not bad at all. Local decoupling uses film capacitors – again, a very good sign.

And the “best”: the xtal is suspended on 4 rubber bends - cheers! (This is important marketing point of sale factor!).

Thanks for sending the link. It looks very good, components are ok, price is very good, its “suspended”…– will try one to check its sound.

Extreme_Boky

At least one of you guys is paying attention...........

I could be wrong, but it looks like a canned oscillator, with a buffer and '317 for a supply. Even if it is a crystal instead, you guys can do just as good on your own, if not better. Unless you use a noise redcution circuit, a '317 doesn't cut it for low noise.

It is a "novice" kit, so unless you want practice soldering, you may be best served by searching here for the numerous clock circuits. It does not need a PCB. Old copper-clad will work, and maybe better.

Jocko

DJNUBZ said:
I was just wondering if anyone has used this clock upgrade.

http://www.hifidiy.net/shop/views.asp?hw_id=52

It is way cheaper then the aftermarket clocks I have seen before but if it's no better then the clock in my CD player it would be a waste.

Would love to see a jitter measurement or decent spec (ppm's are not). True, it is not much money (but what does it bring you ?). By the way an LM317 produces too much output noise for all oscillators I came across so far........

best

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No clue but for even at that price it very probably beats 99% of the standard clock circuits in cdplayers hands down. I do not think the circuit with the rubber band functions less good than other standard canned XOs without the rubber band. In other words: maybe it does not bring much but it doesn't take much either. It certainly looks cool FWIW.

I bet its price/quality ratio is better than that of most other clocks on the market..... Not every person wants a clock that costs more than the cdplayer it is going to be fit in ;)

jean-paul said:
No clue but for that price it very probably beats 99% of the standard clock circuits in cdplayers hands down. I do not think the circuit with the rubber band functions less good than other standard canned XOs without the rubber band. In other words: maybe it does not bring much but it doesn't take much either. It certainly looks cool FWIW.

I bet its price/quality ratio is better than that of most other clocks on the market..... Not every person wants a clock that costs more than the cdplayer it is going to be fit in ;)

Hi JP

I have no clue on the performance, so truly can't judge it. A spec would be nice. If someone has one and is willing to send one, I can measaure and satisfy my own curiosity (no, I won't share reesults).

And the rubbers can be left out, believe me, been there done that .....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is striking how fellow clock sellers/designers judge a product without even having heard nor measured it. To me it seems like a cook telling that the restaurant at the corner is not very good.

I thought we agreed that the correlation between certain parts and the final result was a thin line ?!! If we would think like that we would still be thinking ECC88 is not suitable for audio. Some things do depend on the context/implementation.

Anyway, I mailed the manufacturer for specs as the given specs do not tell much indeed. Maybe I will order one just out of curiousity. When results are OK and much better than the standard circuits I'll be satisfied.

jean-paul said:
It is striking how fellow clock sellers/designers judge a product without even having heard nor measured it. To me it seems like a cook telling that the restaurant at the corner is not very good.

I thought we agreed that the correlation between certain parts and the final result was a thin line ?!! If we would think like that we would still be thinking ECC88 is not suitable for audio. Some things do depend on the context/implementation.

Anyway, I mailed the manufacturer for specs. Maybe I will order one just out of curiousity. When results are OK and much better than the standard circuits I'll be satisfied.

JP, My comments are based on my experiences, things I tried in the past! I have built a clock with 74VHC04., tried LM317 as supply etc. Get it? I don't post all my experiments

jean-paul said:
It is striking how fellow clock sellers judge a product without even having heard nor measured it. To me it seems like a cook telling that the restaurant at the corner is not very good.

Anyway, I mailed the manufacturer for specs. Maybe I will order one just out of curiousity...

Hi JP

It is striking how fellow clock sellers share their experiences for free, enabling others to avoid starters errors. You can look at it as critism, or as free advise - your pick.

For clocks the most relevant parameter is jitter - for that reason I showed my interest in a spec.

I'd be happy to receive a measured spec (jitter density, similar to what I have distributed here) if that is part of the specs you have requested.

best

JP, My comments are based on my experiences, things I tried in the past! I have built a clock with 74VHC04., tried LM317 as supply etc. Get it? I don't post all my experiments

How can someone so gorgeous, cute, famine and petite know so much about electronics?

With the face like that (and the curves - mmmmmmmmm....) maybe bauty products would make more sense? No...

Extreme_Boky

Why do you guys assume the '04 is for the oscillator? Anyone see the caps for the feedback network? Any clues from the parts list, hmmm........

Why do you guys think that you can't do better on your own for that amount of money? Maybe we have more fatih in you than you do. You are being sucked in because they have a website, use some silly rubber band kludge, and tell you it is great because it has X ppm. Big deal. You can do better on your own.

I stand by my advice. Take it or ignore it, I really don't care. It is your money to waste, and waste it if you must.

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.