CD transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably can't recommend the PS Audio Lambda Drive unless it is a low hours Lambda Drive II. I have one of the originals and it quit recently and I have been unable to repair it.

Some of the early Theta Datas are quite nice and are still reasonably well supported by their manufacturer.

Have you considered building a media server instead? That is what I did after I got over the angst and I don't regret it at all..

Kevin

audionut said:
My CD transport is beginning to fail....any ideas for a cd player with a digital out that would make a good transport that I can buy used on EBAY...maybe something that uses the Phillips CD-PRO mechanism...

Thanx

Hi Audionut,

If you are willing to step over to an other type of transport, than I can reccomend the VRDS system made by TEAC.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi audionut,
The only thing that is important in a transport is the bock error rate and cosmetics. I would recommend any Sony based transport as they can be repaired. The old Tascam CD-401 has the KSS-151A head. It's very fast being linear. Denon DCD-2560 / 3560 are great choices as are Sony ES models (some). Units using KSS-240A heads can be coaxed into good performance. The same can be said for KSS-210A head types (KSS-150A is replaced by KSS-210A, same comments)

The best transport has got to be the Nakamichi OMS-5/7A with the servo mod (by Nakamichi). It has the best eye pattern of any player, the most stable. It would need modification to get the RF signal from the philips chip set into a good D/A section. No digital outs on this one. The Nak transport is a wonderful NEC based unit - everything is cast aluminum. Everything is mechanically adjustable.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.