Digital Playback dumb questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My tube based audio system has improved greatly over the last year. Same with speakers. The more accurate details I hear, the worst low quality CDs sound. It is to the point I do not listen to some of my small CD collection.

My present CD players are a Pioneer DVD333 and a modified Toshiba 3950. The old Pioneer is far better than the Toshiba on my system. However, the Toshiba did improve with mods. The 3950 is quite lousy sounding to all of us with grain & glare, grey vs black in-between singers & instruments, etc.

If you can relate to it, EPIC CDs are the worst. My modified FM tuner on a quality FM station sounds much better. However, a high quality CD stills sounds better than the FM tuner on the best station.

More confusion is Redbook, SCAD, single bit, etc. What is a good CD player? What format will be around in the near future?

IMO the difference between two CDs is not so much a question of format than it is of how the music was recorded and the pre-mastering part...

Obviously, no one has much influence over those except the musicians (sometimes) and the producers (always).

One type of pre-mastering may sound good on some setups, and bad on others... The pre-mastering is done so as to make the CD sound "decent" on most setups. Not what you'd call an audiophile approach, but they have to go with the market.

I personally think that 16-bit of resolution is nowhere near enough to make a recording sound right on any high-end audio chain. It just sounds "ok". Some CDs may sound better than others due to how they were recorded in the first place, then pre-mastered...

How do I see the future? I don't know, but my idea, right now, is the following: some kind of digital medium (optical, solid-state, whatever); audio sampled @ 96 kHz, 24-bit from beginning to end; lossless compression on the medium (such as FLAC); and if possible, two versions of the same tracks: one that is pre-mastered - targeted at low-end setups, and one that is not, for high-end, audiophile setups.

More confusion is Redbook, SCAD, single bit, etc. What is a good CD player? What format will be around in the near future?

Hello, I spent time last year looking for a good sounding digital front end player in my system. I tried SACD and redbook players and ended up with a Redbook player.
I think this format is here to stay for a long time yet.
The SACD catalogue did not have any titles that I wanted at the time I was looking, and I have so many redbook titles that I want to listen now.
Who wants a dead investment?

The only one redbook player that really stood out to my ears was the FMJCD33 player. Playback has never sounded so good.
Other players just didn't have the X factor that I was looking for.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_fmj_CD36_intro.cfm

(The 36 replaces the 33)

I would recommend that you go to your nearest Arcam dealer (if possible) and try to get one of these players out on demo.
I'm sure you won't be dissappointed with the sound.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
there we go again... endless discussions on sacd, redbook, cd, vinyl etc etc..... and the person in question still is "suffering" CD sound he does not like ....

My suggestion is to just build a good DAC. You will be surprised on your CD collection ;)

On the forum you will find tons of good ideas or check my site ...

good luck !

doede

Amperex, Please try the FMJ CD player.
In spite of what others may say against this post you will not be dissappointed with teh above listed player.

The only negative thing is the price you have to pay for a releastic sounding front end. (Just like cars really).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.