Digital Playback dumb questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2005, 09:32 PM   #1
amperex is offline amperex  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Playback dumb questions

My tube based audio system has improved greatly over the last year. Same with speakers. The more accurate details I hear, the worst low quality CDs sound. It is to the point I do not listen to some of my small CD collection.

My present CD players are a Pioneer DVD333 and a modified Toshiba 3950. The old Pioneer is far better than the Toshiba on my system. However, the Toshiba did improve with mods. The 3950 is quite lousy sounding to all of us with grain & glare, grey vs black in-between singers & instruments, etc.

If you can relate to it, EPIC CDs are the worst. My modified FM tuner on a quality FM station sounds much better. However, a high quality CD stills sounds better than the FM tuner on the best station.

More confusion is Redbook, SCAD, single bit, etc. What is a good CD player? What format will be around in the near future?
Old 16th September 2005, 10:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

IMO the difference between two CDs is not so much a question of format than it is of how the music was recorded and the pre-mastering part...

Obviously, no one has much influence over those except the musicians (sometimes) and the producers (always).

One type of pre-mastering may sound good on some setups, and bad on others... The pre-mastering is done so as to make the CD sound "decent" on most setups. Not what you'd call an audiophile approach, but they have to go with the market.

I personally think that 16-bit of resolution is nowhere near enough to make a recording sound right on any high-end audio chain. It just sounds "ok". Some CDs may sound better than others due to how they were recorded in the first place, then pre-mastered...

How do I see the future? I don't know, but my idea, right now, is the following: some kind of digital medium (optical, solid-state, whatever); audio sampled @ 96 kHz, 24-bit from beginning to end; lossless compression on the medium (such as FLAC); and if possible, two versions of the same tracks: one that is pre-mastered - targeted at low-end setups, and one that is not, for high-end, audiophile setups.
Old 18th September 2005, 03:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

More confusion is Redbook, SCAD, single bit, etc. What is a good CD player? What format will be around in the near future?

Hello, I spent time last year looking for a good sounding digital front end player in my system. I tried SACD and redbook players and ended up with a Redbook player.
I think this format is here to stay for a long time yet.
The SACD catalogue did not have any titles that I wanted at the time I was looking, and I have so many redbook titles that I want to listen now.
Who wants a dead investment?

The only one redbook player that really stood out to my ears was the FMJCD33 player. Playback has never sounded so good.
Other players just didn't have the X factor that I was looking for.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_fmj_CD36_intro.cfm

(The 36 replaces the 33)

I would recommend that you go to your nearest Arcam dealer (if possible) and try to get one of these players out on demo.
I'm sure you won't be dissappointed with the sound.
Old 18th September 2005, 10:59 AM   #4
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

there we go again... endless discussions on sacd, redbook, cd, vinyl etc etc..... and the person in question still is "suffering" CD sound he does not like ....

My suggestion is to just build a good DAC. You will be surprised on your CD collection

On the forum you will find tons of good ideas or check my site ...

good luck !

doede
Old 19th September 2005, 06:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Told you 'dumb'

I'll visit your site. What is a good transport?
Old 19th September 2005, 07:12 PM   #6
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Told you 'dumb'

Quote:
Originally posted by amperex
I'll visit your site. What is a good transport?

What's a good car ??

That is difficult to answer. Experience shows, that somewhat heavier, at least mid priced CD players do well as transport.
Forget the cheap plastic stuf from the wholes sales department

Good luck !

doede
Old 19th September 2005, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Amperex, Please try the FMJ CD player.
In spite of what others may say against this post you will not be dissappointed with teh above listed player.

The only negative thing is the price you have to pay for a releastic sounding front end. (Just like cars really).
Old 20th September 2005, 02:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default What is a good car? Or DIY Amp?

I can tell anyone what is a good tube amp is because I built & modified many tube amps. However, I have not experimented with CD players. So, I ask........
Old 20th September 2005, 01:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Good transport?

Audiomeca Mephisto II

Extreme_Boky

Hide this!Advertise here!