Laser diode output lands?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The service manual to my dvd player says I have to
"short-circuit the laser diode output land" on the drive before disconnecting PCB flexi-cables.

As per this picture:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Afterwards, it says I should then "open the land".

What are these "lands"?
Why is it necessary to short them if the unit is unplugged?

Finally, what does it mean to "re-open" them? Am I meant to leave them short-circuited whilst the board is removed? How would I do this?

Thanks.

You should solder the pins together - check the photo I attached. Do this before you remove the membrane ribbon cable (if you can rich the lands with ribbon cable attached to both mechanism and PCB!).

The new mechanism should come with both of these lands already soldered. Install the mechanism, insert both ends of your ribbon cable, and THEN remove the solder from both lands.

Use the antistatic wrist band all the time and connect it to the PCB's ground - one that the ribbon cable and mechanism are connected to.

Good luck,

Extreme_Boky

Attachments

• lands.jpg
    lands.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 162
It is probably they don't want you to damage the SACD or CD reader part because probably that cause my player can not read the CD or SACD now. As I recall there is another guy have the same problem even those the power cable disconnect but there is charge in the caps still there, and the purpose of sordering together is to sure it is discharging. But I am only guessing, because I am waitting for my schematic to come yet.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The solder link is to protect the laser diode from static. Using scotch tape or any plastic tape across those pads is a bad idea as the tape carries a charge as well.

Use a properly grounded anti-static strap and it is a good idea to use a solder iron with a grounded tip as well.

Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.