Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2002, 08:22 AM   #31
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: danger

Quote:
Originally posted by yves
if you are using blue leds, pls do not look directly
at it. Blue leds are known to be bad for your
eyes.
I don't know the exact mechanism or reason, but I do
know that in one manufacturer who makes leds,
all the people who handle blue ones have to wear
some filter spectacles to protect their eyes - no
kidding.
If anyone knows the full reason, perhaps they
might like to share?
Never heard of it not even in the datasheets of LED's. Are you sure that it wasn't about laser diodes (blue ones)?
Old 27th September 2002, 10:30 AM   #32
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default resistor

It's one of the very basic rules.

You have to use a series resistor otherwise the current through the LED will be too high and it will fail.

Ubat - Uled / desired current Iled = Rseries.

Or am I too serious ?
Old 27th September 2002, 10:30 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is this true? Won't adding a resistor across a battery cause current to flow and discharge you batteries. Why would want to do this? Why would you post this statement which seems to be untrue by every bit of physics that I know? Can you explain the resoning behind this statement?
The man said in series with the LED, not parallel to it.

Quote:
In my system, there is definitely an improvement.
Can you perform a double blind listening test on this? It just does not make any sense to add (optical) noise to an (optical) signal to enhance the information. Adding noise to any signal simply degrades the information quality. Period.

Sikke
Old 27th September 2002, 10:51 AM   #34
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

Only that the rules here prohibit posting non-factual information.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen here. How can people's listening impressions (which are key to what we're doing here) be considered factual? The threads about directionality of speaker wires, why tubes sound better than transistors, why op-amps are sinful...or my favorite: "This is an amplifier that knows its music." You're saying we need to suppress all that?
You're striving for banality. Lighten up.
Old 27th September 2002, 11:08 AM   #35
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Some things are hard to believe in audio. Some tweaks just alter the sound without making it better.
However the wierdest tweak that I have tried that sounds laughable is freezing CD's. No really, I just tried it for fun because it costs nothing and doesn't involve almost any work.

I left a couple of CD's in a plastic zip loc bag overnight in the freezer and the next day I heard a clear improvement mainly in dynamics. I tried this again with identical cd copies-one control and one frozen- and I got the same results on A/B comparisons. I just couldn;t believe it. The effect lasted for months.
I challenge somebody to give it a try. Peter I suspect you might be game to this since you have an open mind. I'd like to know others can hear this effect too.
Old 27th September 2002, 11:20 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi Protos

I believe that you beleive there is a difference. However, the mind can play strange tricks on a person. Can you perform a double bind test on this effect? Let another person choose the CD (frozen or normal) to play at random, you have to tell which CD is playing. Do this 16 times in a row and post a result on how much you got right. That's the more scientific approach.

B.T.W. I do have an open mind, however I run into so much bu****it these days (like demagnitizing CD's, don't get me started!) that I like to see some proof first. Double blind listening tests are proof.
Old 27th September 2002, 11:31 AM   #37
Account Disabled

Quote:
Will eggs not move in a carton if you shake them hard enough?
If we shake them one million times, we could move at least one egg.
Just matter of probability, high or low...

This man will break the brick wall one day.

Blue LED and frozen CD... I like to try them one day...
Old 27th September 2002, 11:36 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Listening to the music on a CD is doesn't require a scientific approach. I'm not into double blind tests because they make me tired. I don't want to prove anything neither to you nor anybody else. I don't care if you convinced or not.

It's just that since I finished the CD-PRO there was some sort of sound signature that bothered me. Whenevr I listened to the player I was aware of it. Now when I placed the LED I hear less of that signature and I am more satisfied with the quality of the sound. Isn't it enough? The whole thing (LED) just makes me feel better about the music I hear.

Who needs double blind tests?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th September 2002, 11:59 AM   #39
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The whole thing (LED) just makes me feel better about the music I hear.

Who needs double blind tests?
Well put. The feeling is important just for yourself. The other ones needs blind tests which don't feel at all. But blind tests are interesting.

My DAC is good but it MUST be better than the built-in one therefore I try hard to hear a difference which I also do but just particular sounds from particular CD's. But here is my mind involved and I'm aware of it. The main thing for me (like Mr Daniel) is the good feeling.

I'm more or less convinced that I would fail in a blind test between DAC CS4328 and B-B PCM63? (Denon DCD-1520), but who cares.
Old 27th September 2002, 12:11 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: LEDS's of all colors

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak

I am sorry but I can't corroborate your findings.

Maybe to hear this you need an oversampling DAC? Mine is based on DF 1704 and PCM 1704.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!