Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading the review of YBA CD 1 Blue Laser CD player in February/97 issue of Stereophile I decided to experiment with blue LED in my CD-PRO transport. Here is some description of the effect.

Attachments

• blu1.jpg
    blu1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4,040
Here is my temporary setup. When the LED is switched off the sound possess certain degree of harshness. I noticed that with my CD-PRO it was more pronounced that with my previous player. That's why I was a bit disappointed after finishing it.

When I switched the LED on the harshness disappeared, the sound is smoother with bigger soundstage, more relaxed and maybe a bit more detailed. Some would say, more analog like.
I think that this mod brings more improvement than installation of triplets that I did befor in my DAC. Highly recommended.

I'll be buying more blue LEDs and installing them in all my other players.:)

Attachments

• blu.jpg
    blu.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3,945
Peter Daniel said:
After reading the review of YBA CD 1 Blue Laser CD player in February/97 issue of Stereophile I decided to experiment with blue LED in my CD-PRO transport. Here is some description of the effect.

Uh, hate to say it but in addition to copyright violation issues, the text in that sidebar violates the rules here regarding the posting of non-factual information.

se

Pete,

This is an interesting concept. It raises a multitude of questions which I'd like to address in followup posts. Here are a few questions/requests/thoughts:

How did you go about finding the correct distance to place the LED from the CD?

Does the light from the LED reach the photodiode in the CDP?

I'd like to ask you to provide me (us) the part numbers for your blue LED and the laser photodiode in your CDP.

It would really be interesting to know the differences in read errors with the blue LED turned on and off.

Lastly, please explain where in your circuit you have the blue LED hooked up.

Do you have any comments on how to go about reproducing your experiment?

Regards,
AudioEnthusiast

JasonL said:
that is a nice cd player peter. i like it what do you think the overall cost of that thing was to build NOT includeing the metal.

j'

It may be nice, but to do something like that takes a lot of manhours. The cost of the parts I ordered from Netherlands was about CAD500, transformers and caps, plus some few other parts might add another 200, metal was cheap, but the hours...

Peter Daniel said:
Who said they should benefit anybody? They should be only observed.

By those who aren't able to separate the factual information from the non-factual information? So that they can assume it's factual and pass it along as fact to others who aren't able to separate factual information from non-factual information?

Why do you figure one of the rules here prohibits posting non-factual information?

And by the way, the non-factual information I refer to is only in the sidebar you copied from the Stereophile review. Everything else you've posted is just fine.

se

Steve Eddy said:

And by the way, the non-factual information I refer to is only in the sidebar you copied from the Stereophile review. Everything else you've posted is just fine.

se

So if we here on a forum are not allowed to post non-factual information should a magazine like Stereophile be allowed? It can cause much more damage than this forum.

Peter Daniel said:
So if we here on a forum are not allowed to post non-factual information should a magazine like Stereophile be allowed? It can cause much more damage than this forum.

So, just because a handful of people read these forums, it's ok to post non-factual information? That's a rather bizarre justification isn't it?

And Stereophile is free to set their standards how they see fit. Just as this place is free to set their standards as they see fit. And unless I'm reading the rules wrong, posting non-factual information isn't considered fit by those who set the standards here.

se

By those who aren't able to separate the factual information from the non-factual inf

Can you tell us what part of the posted review was non-factual.

Is it non-factual that it was a review? I don't see anything about Scull saying what the equipment sounded like.

Is it non-factual that a blue laser or LED can cause optical noise or some other difference in how the laser reads the CD?

Why does a non tweak company like magnavox put a green LED in thier player?

Will eggs not move in a carton if you shake them hard enough?

Please clear this up as I can not tell exactly what you are specifically refering to.

Is dither non-factual?

Thank you,

H.H.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.