Y B Blue - how blue LED improves the CD playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Factual

"Add a 500-1k resistor in series and your batteries will last longer."

Is this true? Won't adding a resistor across a battery cause current to flow and discharge you batteries. Why would want to do this? Why would you post this statement which seems to be untrue by every bit of physics that I know? Can you explain the resoning behind this statement?

H.H.

Re: By those who aren't able to separate the factual information from the non-factual inf

HarryHaller said:
Can you tell us what part of the posted review was non-factual.

Virtually all of it within the context it was given. But if you want some specifics:

<i>Yes, it is quite interesting that in adding some noise to the signal, we can actually get more information back.

It permits the recovery of some information whose energy was not sufficient... To drive a zero to a one or the other way around? Exactly.

And at this time you don't see the noise, but you see the signal, which existed before.

Here are two levels: the noise of the LSB, which is dither, and the noise we add with the blue laser light in the analog domain.

We apply the light--the treatment--as the laser reads the data, while dither is added afterward, of course.

In the analog domain, you know, noise decreases slowly, continuously, so that even under the noise floor it is possible to retrieve some information. But with digital, under the LSB, there is no more information!</i>

Is it non-factual that a blue laser or LED can cause optical noise or some other difference in how the laser reads the CD?

No, but that's not what's being claimed.

Why does a non tweak company like magnavox put a green LED in thier player?

I've no idea. It could be used for a biasing diode for all I know (LEDs are used by some for biasing diodes as they tend to be less noisy). What does Magnavox claim it's in there for?

Will eggs not move in a carton if you shake them hard enough?

If a hen-and-a-half lays an egg-and-a-half in a day-and-a-half, how many elephants does it take to mix a martini?

Is dither non-factual?

Sure it's factual. What's not factual is that the blue LED is applying LSB dither.

se

Non-factual?

I quoted you verbatim.

"Add a 500-1k resistor in series and your batteries will last longer."

I asked a perfectly legitimate question then and expected an answer. Or you were free to ignore it of course.

"Is this true? Won't adding a resistor across a battery cause current to flow and discharge you batteries."

Where is the non-factual information?

Here is some factual infomation about things that will get you put in the Sin Bin.

FORUM RULES

1) No personal attacks or bullying. If you disagree with what someone is saying, then present a mature and intelligent case to prove otherwise. Malicious intent will not be tolerated. What you do over private email is one thing, what you do on our forum is another.

2) No offensive language. Sure, most of us use four letter words in normal conversation without too much thinking, but this forum is about thinking. Words are the clothes in which thought is dressed. And luckily, these threads are cheap (pun intended) so please choose language that reflects the quality of your ideas.

3) No threadjacking. Threadjacking is the practise of stealing another's thread by posting off-topic replies such that the original topic becomes diluted or lost. Off-topic posts, and even more importantly replies to off-topic posts, are welcome, but should also address the original thread topic.

Some of the greatest discussions have come as a result of off-topic replies. If something interesting does arise that warrants further discussion then continue your discussion privately over email, or even better start a new thread and link to it. This rule will of course be used with discretion.

4) No posting of safety endangering information without an accompanying safety-warning message that adequately explains the risks

Violation of forum rules will result in users having their accounts suspended and/or terminated, at the discretion of the moderators.

These 4 rules will be enforced in good faith to keep the discussion quality level and the level of peer respect, high.

Just a friendly reminder. I am not looking for trouble and I think the moderators have a pretty short fuse about now from some of the post as of late.

H.H.

danger

if you are using blue leds, pls do not look directly
at it. Blue leds are known to be bad for your
eyes.
I don't know the exact mechanism or reason, but I do
know that in one manufacturer who makes leds,
all the people who handle blue ones have to wear
some filter spectacles to protect their eyes - no
kidding.
If anyone knows the full reason, perhaps they
might like to share?

Yv

Re: danger

yves said:
if you are using blue leds, pls do not look directly
at it. Blue leds are known to be bad for your
eyes.
I don't know the exact mechanism or reason, but I do
know that in one manufacturer who makes leds,
all the people who handle blue ones have to wear
some filter spectacles to protect their eyes - no
kidding.
If anyone knows the full reason, perhaps they
might like to share?

Never heard of it not even in the datasheets of LED's. Are you sure that it wasn't about laser diodes (blue ones)?

Is this true? Won't adding a resistor across a battery cause current to flow and discharge you batteries. Why would want to do this? Why would you post this statement which seems to be untrue by every bit of physics that I know? Can you explain the resoning behind this statement?

The man said in series with the LED, not parallel to it.

In my system, there is definitely an improvement.

Can you perform a double blind listening test on this? It just does not make any sense to add (optical) noise to an (optical) signal to enhance the information. Adding noise to any signal simply degrades the information quality. Period.

Sikke

Steve Eddy said:

Only that the rules here prohibit posting non-factual information.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen here. How can people's listening impressions (which are key to what we're doing here) be considered factual? The threads about directionality of speaker wires, why tubes sound better than transistors, why op-amps are sinful...or my favorite: "This is an amplifier that knows its music." You're saying we need to suppress all that?
You're striving for banality. Lighten up.

Some things are hard to believe in audio. Some tweaks just alter the sound without making it better.
However the wierdest tweak that I have tried that sounds laughable is freezing CD's. No really, I just tried it for fun because it costs nothing and doesn't involve almost any work.

I left a couple of CD's in a plastic zip loc bag overnight in the freezer and the next day I heard a clear improvement mainly in dynamics. I tried this again with identical cd copies-one control and one frozen- and I got the same results on A/B comparisons. I just couldn;t believe it. The effect lasted for months.
I challenge somebody to give it a try. Peter I suspect you might be game to this since you have an open mind. I'd like to know others can hear this effect too.

Hi Protos

I believe that you beleive there is a difference. However, the mind can play strange tricks on a person. Can you perform a double bind test on this effect? Let another person choose the CD (frozen or normal) to play at random, you have to tell which CD is playing. Do this 16 times in a row and post a result on how much you got right. That's the more scientific approach.

B.T.W. I do have an open mind, however I run into so much bu****it these days (like demagnitizing CD's, don't get me started!) that I like to see some proof first. Double blind listening tests are proof.

Listening to the music on a CD is doesn't require a scientific approach. I'm not into double blind tests because they make me tired. I don't want to prove anything neither to you nor anybody else. I don't care if you convinced or not.

It's just that since I finished the CD-PRO there was some sort of sound signature that bothered me. Whenevr I listened to the player I was aware of it. Now when I placed the LED I hear less of that signature and I am more satisfied with the quality of the sound. Isn't it enough? The whole thing (LED) just makes me feel better about the music I hear.

Who needs double blind tests?:)

Peter Daniel said:
The whole thing (LED) just makes me feel better about the music I hear.

Who needs double blind tests?:)

Well put. The feeling is important just for yourself. The other ones needs blind tests which don't feel at all. But blind tests are interesting.

My DAC is good but it MUST be better than the built-in one therefore I try hard to hear a difference which I also do but just particular sounds from particular CD's. But here is my mind involved and I'm aware of it. The main thing for me (like Mr Daniel) is the good feeling.

I'm more or less convinced that I would fail in a blind test between DAC CS4328 and B-B PCM63? (Denon DCD-1520), but who cares.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.