New DAC project 24/96/192 wanted features

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

This is not spam nor advertising.

Next year I plan to for my own pleasure upgrade my wonderful sounding CS4328 DAC. CS4328 was one of the best 16/18 48 DAC's with a really seriuos output stage.

Now, my direction is to make it easy to build but with many parts if neccessary, maybe with a microcontroller, AVR or PIC. I will skip hard logic. Many features, much "blink och lys". TOSLINK, RCA, XLR inputs with transformer. Expensive output filters. SMD all the way. Industrial parts, no odd audiophile parts.
AKM4395 or CS43122 will be the DAC.
This project is for my own pleasure and if a couple of you want to join with me in the development I'll be glad. It's not neccessary that you know anything about digital audio. It's enough if you just want to use the DAC and have ideas how it should look like. It's also very possible that those people will get nice pcb's for a reduced price as thanks for the help and input I hope.

The pricetag will be in the range of 300 to 600 USD. Not cheap if you talk pure money, but rather OK if we talk performance.

If I succeed to create enough interest I will publish the wishlist at my homepage and also publish the progress of the project.

Blink = Blink
och = and
Lys = Lights

Personally I think that 96 kHz is quite enough but I have an open mind in this matter. I have never heard 192 kSp, do I ever? I'm not totally convinced of the technical pros. I think there are lots of cons here.

I have asked about this in an another thread but noone thinks very much in this matter. It's not by a long shot peeling of covers of ....!

PerSPAMders!

"This is not spam nor advertising."

"It's enough if you just want to use the DAC and have ideas how it should look like. It's also very possible that those people will get nice pcb's for a reduced price as thanks for the help and input I hope."

"The pricetag will be in the range of 300 to 600 USD. Not cheap if you talk pure money, but rather OK if we talk performance."

Looks like solicting to me....... I have had about enough of this crap. You have been warned about this by a moderator once all ready. STOP USING THIS FORUM TO PLUG YOUR WEBSITE, SELL PARTS, AND SOLICITE CUSTOMERS. I know that I am not the only one that is tired of this and I will not hesitate to send a copy of everyone of post like this to Jason. Think I am bluffing? Just post another one.

Art

artnyos, I invite people DIY'ers to join me and a couple is already interested in my DIY project, not very commercial project. To do something together like Dorkus' stuff isn't a bad thing. Pcb's costs money and therefore you must involve some money. In an another forum (you know surely which) people are happy to share their work, even their pcb's which costs money.

If the moderator thinks this type of projects are unsuitable for DIYAudio.com I will follow his wishes.

Otherwise I think the moderator should moderate not you.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"The pricetag will be in the range of 300 to 600 USD. Not cheap if you talk pure money, but rather OK if we talk performance."

Thats a pretty expensive PCB.:$::$::$::$::$::$:

You better hope they don't moderate your money making butt out of here:wave:

Why don't you report me to the moderator while your at it since I don't care, since I have no business interest here like you do.

Art:xfingers:

Pcb's costs money......
http://www.expresspcb.com/
A little less without you as the middle man.

Re: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

artnyos said:

Thats a pretty expensive PCB.:$::$::$::$::$::$:

You better hope they don't moderate your money making butt out of here:wave:

Pcb's costs money......

I thought you understood that I was talking about the total price including a bought nice case.

artnyos said:

Why don't you report me to the moderator while your at it since I don't care, since I have no business interest here like you do.

.... .... ... ... ...! (I'm sure you can figure out what I mean?)

I was so wrong

"artnyos, I invite people DIY'ers to join me and a couple is already interested in my DIY project, not very commercial project."

I guess the money is going to your favorite charity:wchair:. I am so embarrassed. :crying:I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.:hbeat:

What is ......... ! Maybe the Swedish doesn't translate so well. You could give it to me in Swedish or German and I will do my best to have it translated.:magnify:

Art:wave:

artnyos,
I don't know much about things peranders might have done on this board concerning commercial interests in the past and I certainly don't want to bother you, but:
don't you think you should calm down a little right now?
I think everyone has understood your opinion at this time.
I would suggest: Let's have a look where this project will end up; if there is anything to get angry about at that time - you might do.
---
Holger

No-holds-barred DAC action! Yeah! That's what I like to see.

I think your price of $300 might be a little low, though. For my DAC I had to spend $80 for the PCB, and $150 just for the DAC chips. The power regulators (which I built up from discreets) also turned out to be pretty expensive.

Happy designing! I'll be very glad to collaborate with you, if you like.

Oh wow, I just noticed that the CS43122 is a single-supply balanced-output unit. Hot stuff! Definitely the greatest pain in my last balanced DAC was providing 16 clean power supplies, and routing traces to four ICs. This should be much simpler. You don't even need an I/V stage!

jwb said:
No-holds-barred DAC action! Yeah! That's what I like to see.

I think your price of $300 might be a little low, though. For my DAC I had to spend $80 for the PCB, and $150 just for the DAC chips. The power regulators (which I built up from discreets) also turned out to be pretty expensive.

You know, as a DIY'er, you can cut costs in many ways, also increase! Not many people can build a DAC for 300 USD but if you get free samples of the DAC's, make your own case, have the transformers, caps etc. it's possible.

rfbrw said:
Peranders,
Have you considered including the option of displaying CD Text?
And is there any particular reason you have chosen a dac from the AKM/Crystal stable as opposed to TI/BB or AD?

The answer is yes to the second question but there is one thing though: I simple like Crystal and AKM seems to be similar. Some people like tubes, other like Mr Pass' amps, some like vinyl etc. The documentation from Crystal is excellent, often very important if you don't want to do mistakes. I haven't desided yet which chip I'm going to use but one another important thing is availibility for private persons. I'm not so keen on buying lots of expensive chips in order to sell them. My general attitude is to use parts which are easy to get. That's one of the most important things for me actually.

The first question, not really, don't know much about it. Can anybody convince me? Does CD Text exist? Is it like deemphasis? 10 CD's of my 700 have it and noone newer than 10 years!

Peranders

Have you been stepping on someones toes lately?
Or is it artnyos who have woken up on the wrong side of the bed?

I`m looking forward to see how our dac developes.
But why use many parts?
Isn`t it clever to use as few parts as "possible" (but not fewer...)?

2002tii said:
Peranders
Have you been stepping on someones toes lately?
Or is it artnyos who have woken up on the wrong side of the bed?

Both I suppose but he isn't around anymore for a long long time. Have you noticed how peaceful it is here right now? There has been an another guy who have been strong "sin bin" material but he was clever enough not to make his point of veiw public. He was a student and have apologized proberly (but his not forgotten). Even Jocko Homo and Steve Eddy are nice guys these days. Check the "sin bin" for information if you don't know the details.

2002tii said:
I`m looking forward to see how our dac developes.
But why use many parts?
Isn`t it clever to use as few parts as "possible" (but not fewer...)?

In this project I will use the amount of parts I feel neccessary and the most worrying thing is the EMC stuff. DAC's creates MUCH RF noise, you can't believe it! The emission is high between 100-300 MHz. This takes lot's of parts to reduce! But otherwise I won't be doing overkill. DAC's are pretty much forward, reciever, DAC output filter plus control section.

The overkill stuff are for amps (for me anyway).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.