need a transport for a california audio lab Genisis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2005, 11:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need a transport for a california audio lab Genisis

I think I need one. yesterday I saw it wasn't working so I opened it and the cd wasnt turning but i was hearing a slight noise coming from the transporter as if the motor was turning,but was standing still.I gave my cd a push with my finger and started to turn and play!Oh and on my front of the player which is a Genesis by the way it has 2 lights on the right 1 written OPERATE and the other DEEMPH which that one is red the other green.when you turn it on the 2 lights turn on,then the green stays on and the red one go's off.But since my cd does't turn or tries to,after 3 seconds it stays on red.
Now I need to know where I can find one,and what brand is it.
I can take picture of it aand email it to someone so he can post-it on the forum thx...!!
Old 19th August 2005, 12:34 AM   #2
guytou is offline guytou  France
diyAudio Member

Hi , could be a tired laser pickup .did you try to clean up the lens with a Q-tip ?(avoid alcohol & acetone).
Old 22nd August 2005, 01:22 PM   #3
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default or a clogged motor.....

If it does not spin up to read toc it is often the motor that is faulty/dirty. There are a few tricks to sort this.
Old 25th August 2005, 02:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: or a clogged motor.....

Quote:
Originally posted by tubenut
If it does not spin up to read toc it is often the motor that is faulty/dirty. There are a few tricks to sort this.

HI tubenut , i'm waiting for tricks , restlessness.
Old 26th August 2005, 07:07 PM   #5
tubenut is offline tubenut  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Wire the spindle motor to a separate DC supply = to the rated motor voltage or perhaps 1.3 x higher via a dpdt toggle switch in a way that allows you to reverse polarity of dc fed to the motor. Let the motor spin for 5 or 10 secs and flip the switch. do this 2 or 3 times and most times this dislodges junk built up in the motor.

Some (incl myself in the past) have just sprayed servisol or similar contact cleaners into the motor to get rid of gunk.

Good luck

Guillaume
Old 26th August 2005, 07:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

have tried to clean with a spray but now it stop completly
Old 26th August 2005, 09:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi ,did you try tubenut's trick?(thanks to him) . But work only with DC brush motor .I don't know what to do with Hall motor .
Old 27th August 2005, 02:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I havent tried his trick but i noticed that i have 2 power supplies in my cd player,I having it check from the place I bought it from.I should get more info on what's happenning next week.
Old 27th August 2005, 02:24 AM   #9
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi newfinish,
One supply is for digital and the other is analog. There may be other supplies.

Sounds like the disc motor is cooked. The tricks mentioned allow you to check if there are other problems but do not "fix" anything. The contact fingers get worn through or the commutator shorts. Running an old motor backwards may damage the contact "fingers" to the point where they don't work anymore.

-Chris
Old 21st September 2005, 03:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

finally the motor was cooked and now it still dont work because maybe the IC that controling the motor is cooked to...they tried to find the IC in the listing but seems to be not listed anymore and dont have an equivalent.the tech guy said he was gonna check in europe for stocks maybe they have some left ,I dont know seems to me that my poor Genesis is RIP.

Hide this!Advertise here!