need a transport for a california audio lab Genisis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I need one. yesterday I saw it wasn't working so I opened it and the cd wasnt turning but i was hearing a slight noise coming from the transporter as if the motor was turning,but was standing still.I gave my cd a push with my finger and started to turn and play!Oh and on my front of the player which is a Genesis by the way it has 2 lights on the right 1 written OPERATE and the other DEEMPH which that one is red the other green.when you turn it on the 2 lights turn on,then the green stays on and the red one go's off.But since my cd does't turn or tries to,after 3 seconds it stays on red.
Now I need to know where I can find one,and what brand is it.
I can take picture of it aand email it to someone so he can post-it on the forum thx...!!

Wire the spindle motor to a separate DC supply = to the rated motor voltage or perhaps 1.3 x higher via a dpdt toggle switch in a way that allows you to reverse polarity of dc fed to the motor. Let the motor spin for 5 or 10 secs and flip the switch. do this 2 or 3 times and most times this dislodges junk built up in the motor.

Some (incl myself in the past) have just sprayed servisol or similar contact cleaners into the motor to get rid of gunk.

Good luck

Guillaume

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi newfinish,
One supply is for digital and the other is analog. There may be other supplies.

Sounds like the disc motor is cooked. The tricks mentioned allow you to check if there are other problems but do not "fix" anything. The contact fingers get worn through or the commutator shorts. Running an old motor backwards may damage the contact "fingers" to the point where they don't work anymore.

-Chris

finally the motor was cooked and now it still dont work because maybe the IC that controling the motor is cooked to...they tried to find the IC in the listing but seems to be not listed anymore and dont have an equivalent.the tech guy said he was gonna check in europe for stocks maybe they have some left ,I dont know seems to me that my poor Genesis is RIP.:bawling:

sometimes it's rather easy to find and change the whole assembly
(spindle/sled/laserunit). For exemple the KSM 213 is cheap , but depend what is in your genesis . Try to check what's in (even post a pic ).
I think could be a Philips CDM 4 or a Pioneer stable platter .
In case of CDM 4 ,I think you can find an old cheap Marantz CD 40/42/50 (maybe 50 dollars) and scratch the disc assembly .
In case of Pionneer , same thing with an old PDS-501/502/506 .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the laser lens can not focus on the CD, no FOK signal and no disc spin command. Without a CD they should be able to see the lens move up and down smoothly. There should be able to find the FOK signal test point (look at the RF amp / servo IC pinout).

CD's normally follow similar basic operations depending on transport. There may even be a test program built in. Denon is an example of a company that excels at this.

Use deductive reasoning and the fault will be known. Or, just throw parts at it until it works.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi newfinish,
You can PM me if the image is too large. bhome at sympatico dot ca . Try to get a clear shot of the transport assy. so I can tell the make and the servo PCB. That way I can see the IC numbers.

Is your tech a friend or is this his profession? It is possible the store sent the unit to an outside shop. Find out and see how good they are with CD players. It is common for stores to use the cheapest, barely qualified technicians, and sometimes totally unqualified techs. No insults intended, just long experience in the field.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.