DAC in Master, CD in Slave mode - How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I was wondering is this possible, because CS8414 is having (the only) output clock of 256Fs (11.2896 MHz for Fs=44.1KHz) at MCK pin, that is currently used for DF 1704 as well for 2 X PCM1704.

CD player is using 16.9344 MHz (actually 384Fs)...

If the CD player uses 11.2896, than I think it would be straight forward, but this is a problem (my current opinion).

Any advice ?

// Thanks for the link.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Here is an example how it can be done by using DAC PCM1710.
But ...PCM1704 has CKSL pin to choose between 256Fs or 384Fs as output clock...

Attachments

• sysclk_out.jpg
    sysclk_out.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 605
spavleski said:
I was wondering is this possible, because CS8414 is having (the only) output clock of 256Fs (11.2896 MHz for Fs=44.1KHz) at MCK pin, that is currently used for DF 1704 as well for 2 X PCM1704.

CD player is using 16.9344 MHz (actually 384Fs)...

If the CD player uses 11.2896, than I think it would be straight forward, but this is a problem (my current opinion).

Any advice ?

// Thanks for the link.

Hi

It can be done using the modules as linked. In the DAC an 11.2896 MHz XO takes place, the CD player will use a VCXO at 16.9344 MHz. The PLL will synchronise everything.

cheers

spavleski said:
Thanks Guido for the explanations!!!

So, this way, XO in XO-DAC , and VCXO in XO-3, by using TentLink mode, the jitter will be lowest possible?

Any diiference in ammount of jitter because of use VCXO on 16.9344MHz compared with VCHO of 11.2896 MHz in CDP?

BR// spavleski

Hi

Yes, lowest possible, as the free running oscillator (XO) is located at the DAC.

There is no difference in jitter between these 2 freqs.

Tentlink Slave/Master mode

Thanks Guido for the explanations!!!

So, this way, XO in XO-DAC , and VCXO in XO-3, by using TentLink mode, the jitter will be lowest possible?

Any diiference in ammount of jitter because of use VCXO on 16.9344MHz compared with VCHO of 11.2896 MHz in CDP?

BR// spavleski

Hi, Are you talking about Slave and Master Mode? I am still not clear about this mode. Can you tell me what to connect where? I could understand that XO3.2 will be located in DAC and XODAC will be located in Transport. How these will be wired?Any change in the jumper setting? How the DAC and the Transport will be connected?

Hi, Are you talking about Slave and Master Mode? I am still not clear about this mode. Can you tell me what to connect where? I could understand that XO3.2 will be located in DAC and XODAC will be located in Transport. How these will be wired?Any change in the jumper setting? How the DAC and the Transport will be connected?

In your case:
- XO3.2 stays in transport, a 16.9344 MHz VCXO will be placed instead of a 16.9344 MHz XO
- XO-DAC stays in DAC, an 11.2896 MHz XO will be place instead of an 11.2896MHz VCXO
- Jumpers J10/J11 will be placed vertically, as indicated on the board
- Tentlink connects between XO3.2 and XO-DAC

best

Guido

In your case:
- XO3.2 stays in transport, a 16.9344 MHz VCXO will be placed instead of a 16.9344 MHz XO
- XO-DAC stays in DAC, an 11.2896 MHz XO will be place instead of an 11.2896MHz VCXO

best

Guido

Do you mean connection will be made between XO3.2 and XODAC thru Tent LInk ( marked on each board) what will be the internal connection for the new boards in each of the devices ( AN DAC and Tentlab Transport)?

You connect the XO3.2 in the transport to the XODAC in the dac with the "additional" link called the Tent Link. You still need the SPDIF connection.
What is important is that you swap the XO can in the XO3.2 to a VCXO can of the same frequency. In the XODac, you swap the VCXO for an XO of the same frequency.

I assume you have already connected the XO3.2 to your cd transport and the XODac to your dac. If you have and these devices are already working, there is nothing else to do but to change the position of J10 and J11 jumpers on the XoDac board. If you have not installed the devices into your equipment, download the instructions from the Tent website.

Last edited:
Thanx for your reply. I have installed XO 3.2 WITH 16.9344 Mhz in the CD transport and XODAC with 11.2896 Mhz in the AN DAC and the CD player as well as my AN L4.1 DAC is working fine.
I want to upgrade to slave /master configuration. Do I need to connect Tentlink of XODAC to Tentlink of XO.3.2 of the new setup? Any further connection to be made in the DAC (cLK IN OR cLK4 OUT, spdif out to the digital convertor board - other than power supply to XO supply) and any further connection in the Transport unit for the new new XODAC (CLK IN, clk 4 out) or the Philips Transport. the power to be drawn from XO Supply.

In your case:

best

Guido

Do you mean that slave/master config is just a matter of interchanging the VCXO with XO and connecting the TentLink? Then why did I go for another set of XODAC and XO 3.2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.