The mods never end, adding Goudreau's triplets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2002, 03:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default The mods never end, adding Goudreau's triplets

After reading Pete Goudreu article about bypass caps http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain I decided to do it in my DAC as well. I used 15nF X7R , 330nF X7R chip caps 0612 from DigiKey and Panasonic 120u HFQ. Mounting and stacking those tiny cap is not an easy job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (79.2 KB, 1758 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd September 2002, 03:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Panasonic HFQ caps are mounted on the opposite side. So what's the improvement? My DAC already had a pretty good sound and it was better than my TT. By adding the caps I achieved another level of refinment (although not something that blows me off). It's just that reproduced music becomes slightly more real, the notes seem to be floating longer in the air and there is a bit more magic in performance. The cost is not much and it took me an hour to do, so I would recommend it. The chips visible here are 2 stacked 1704 DACs. The shielding brought a big improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (66.1 KB, 1675 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd September 2002, 03:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is the look of main board which came from David Broadhurst. I placed damping material on most caps. However, I noticed that too much damping kills the liveness of music, so eventually I removed some of it. Damping the clock was really important on my board. I tried to put damping pads on top panel, but it sounds better without damping. So my recommendation is to experiment, because one never really know what's good and what's not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (91.3 KB, 1679 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 04:06 PM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
now if you had a soldering iron like mine it would have probably been alot easyer.

: O )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solder.jpg (42.7 KB, 1562 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 04:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yeah, too bad I had to use this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i1.jpg (23.2 KB, 1514 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Banned

THATS HUGE now mine is stil smaller
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sol.jpeg (29.9 KB, 1332 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 04:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I was only joking. I used 15W temp reg. iron. I usually use 4 different irons . The one before is 80W and is good only for big jobs, like soldering 14 ga wire etc.

The problem with chip caps was not that much soldering as positioning them properly and holding in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i2.jpg (22.4 KB, 1295 views)
Old 22nd September 2002, 04:54 PM   #8
Banned

Yeha i know i need to get a new one too i like my weller ill be getting another temp controled one soon i need a bigger tip for soldering big wire and removeing parts off of boards.
Old 22nd September 2002, 06:15 PM   #9
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Did you get any resonance from stacking two chips of different capacitance in the same form factor? In my experiments this is sometimes the result, so I have taken the practice of using decreasing sizes for decoupling. For example, 4.7µF in 1206 in parallel with 0.1µF in 0805 for local decoupling.
Old 22nd September 2002, 06:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It didn't cross my mind. 0612 package is preferred and when I was ordering, those were the only sizes available from DigiKey. BTW, it was the first time I did something like that so my experience is limited.

Hide this!Advertise here!