Details of the 75ohm impedance of S/PDIF for short distances.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm designing a DAC which is almost finished now, based on the CS8416 receiver. The DAC will also have a small USB->S/PDIF receiver onboard for interface with a computer, and I'm wondering how I can link these two together and isolate them using an ISO150.

The S/PDIF interface calls for a 75ohm impednace accross the cable, but in this case there is no cable. There is simply an output, and an input to the ISO150, and the output of the ISO150 via a 0.1uf film cap to the RX pin of the receiver.

Will this work or does some sort of resistor divider still need to be used to match impednaces?

Garbz said:
I'm designing a DAC which is almost finished now, based on the CS8416 receiver. The DAC will also have a small USB->S/PDIF receiver onboard for interface with a computer, and I'm wondering how I can link these two together and isolate them using an ISO150.

The S/PDIF interface calls for a 75ohm impednace accross the cable, but in this case there is no cable. There is simply an output, and an input to the ISO150, and the output of the ISO150 via a 0.1uf film cap to the RX pin of the receiver.

Will this work or does some sort of resistor divider still need to be used to match impednaces?

Hi

if we talk cm's here, you can ommit the 75 ohm parallel termination, and use some tens of ohms in series. That way you achive some series termination which works fine.

What would be the bennefit of the iso150 ?

cheers

we are talking cms here. How would the few ohms in series be impliemnted, i.e. where do i put the resistors before the iso150 and receiver or after the usb chip and iso150?

I was thinking of using the iso150 to isolate the ground channel from the computer which comes via the usb port, and the dac in much the same way that digital and analogue grounds are separated in DACs. However i'm not fully set on this idea yet, I may end up using a 1:1 pulse transformer which would not require powersupply rails.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.